TurnitinBot

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TurnitinBot

Post by rlown »

A very interesting Bot indeed. looks for Plagiarism in submitting papers that copies from other work. It's running a lot.

Was just interested.. Nothing to copy here for a college paper, and the high schools probably don't have the money to harvest the data. Just found it interesting. If it's not hurting performance, ok.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: TurnitinBot

Post by ERIC »

I find you're loathing of bots quite entertaining. :)

New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

:)

Just interested in how stuff runs ON THE GROUND and why.. Helo's don't bug me. I know where their engine is.

I am easily amused. The bot just suddenly appeared. Do you control that?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:The bot just suddenly appeared. Do you control that?
Nah, seems new bots pop up weekly. All bots visit on their own terms (we only block the most persistent and harmful ones). The forum system is only equipped to attempt to identify bots when they do visit but there are some bots that you/I don't even know about because the IP range isn't identified in the bot settings (yet). Those just show up as standard guests. This particular bot seems harmless, unless posters on here are posting pirated stuff which I doubt.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Being in the business of education, we do indeed use turnitin.com and I am rather surprised that it would go to HST to look for data. Interesting, though. As a plagiarism checker, the service does work very well and is it is excellent at finding plagiarized material in papers, or sources that aren't properly cited. It saves us a ton of time and is a huge deterrent for those inclined to take academic shortcuts, knowing that they will mostly likely get caught.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I've always wondered if there won't come a point at which anything a person writes has been written before. With turnitin now checking forums, it seems that we are getting much closer to that point.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.