Training Section

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.

Should HST Add An Outdoor Training Forum?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 am

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 7

jdub
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Training Section

Post by jdub »

What about a section to discuss training for outdoors?

Just an idea, i have been evaluating my training routine, and wonder what others are doing.

late,

JDub
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I like this idea a lot, particularly if we can come up with some good ideas for how right-coast sea-level denizens like me can reduce our high-altitude acclimation time!
wingding

Post by wingding »

I've bought a bike last spring and I've been riding it a couple of nights a week and on weekends that I don't hike - it's helped a lot. I have it on a trainer for my after work rides now that it's dark early.
ridgeline
Founding Member

training section

Post by ridgeline »

Make sure you are doing intervals of high intensity and not just long slow training. My two cents.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Ridgeline, my knees won't take much high-speed running ("high-speed...." ha!).... What else would you suggest for high-intensity? I have access to a college gym, which has treadmills, and I've been thinking that a jogging pace ( 6 mph) with high incline (they go up to 12%) might be pretty good...
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Training Section

Post by ERIC »

jdub wrote:What about a section to discuss training for outdoors?

Just an idea, i have been evaluating my training routine, and wonder what others are doing.

late,

JDub
I added a poll question to your post to see how many people would be interested in seeing a new forum added for outdoor training. The poll will close in 2 weeks, so get your votes in now!

ERIC
ridgeline
Founding Member

training

Post by ridgeline »

Interval training is just a way to add intensity to the workout, which will lead to better gains. Example, If you can maintain 30 min at level 4 on the stepper and feel as if this is your max, you should do level 3 for four minutes then jump to level 6 for one minute and back to 3 for intervals for the entire 30 min. There is alot more to this type of training, but it really gets the tired body to respond quickly, these should be added to longer non interval days and rest days also.
PS Bsquared, try a machine like a stepper where the foot does not come off the machine, this will be less pounding as opposed to a treadmill.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Done and done: viewforum.php?f=19
Last edited by ERIC on Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I would like a forum for training, and would actually recommend somehow blending this topic with with health and safety for the backcountry, as these all kind of interelate in my mind.