Reconn Form PDF

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
notdarkyet
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Reconn Form PDF

Post by notdarkyet »

I've downloaded the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (as suggested) and I still can't get the PDF from the Reconn page to display my trip info. A PDF does open, but it only displays the "Please Wait…" message.

Anyone have any ideas on getting the trip record PDF to load? I'm using a Mac with the Safari browser.

JT
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Reconn Form PDF

Post by maverick »

That's weird JT, just opened the PDF after reading this, filled out some the boxes on the form, and downloaded it with no problem. Also using a Mac, but Mozilla (Firefox)browser.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi JT,

Have you got it to working, please don't give up on it, will walk you through it rather than you not use it. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
notdarkyet
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by notdarkyet »

I am able to print and save the web form, which I'll use. I've never had trouble opening a PDF, but I'll keep trying.

Thanks,

John T
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi John,

Our web designer is checking into the issue John, hopefully he will get things back to normal soon, as you mentioned the web form ican be used in mean time, will let you when things are fixed. Thank you for your patience.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is what Jeremy (web designer) wrote:

The pdf form is compressed into a zip file. This was done to make browsers download it rather than displaying it in the browser window, which introduced other issues*. My initial suggestion would be for users to unzip the downloaded file, which should then work fine. (Simply double-clicking the file should be sufficient to do that.)

It looks from the screenshot that Russ sent, as if Adobe Reader is trying to open the zip file directly. This could happen if the user explicity told Reader to open the zip file (via File->Open or right-clicking the file and selecting "Open with..."). That takes extra effort compared to just double-clicking the downloaded file, so the solution for the user is to just double-click the downloaded file.

It's also possible that Reader is incorrectly associated with zip files, in which case it will likely cause other problems for the user once they encounter any other zip file. So, I think this last case is quite unlikely.

Finally, there is a very small chance windows is getting confused by both the "pdf" and the "zip" in the file name, particularly when a space is added. I don't have the means to test that at the moment, but I can rename the file and update the link just in case.

Thanks,
Jeremy

*Such as, a non-Adobe browser plugin that doesn't handle forms well, or the entered data being saved in an obscure location, such as the browser's temp folder.

Hopefully these suggestion will clear up any further issues. Thanks

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok. that's not a good answer. If i click on the pdf file on the website, it downloads it as a zip. correct. It shouldn't (my opinion.)

To actually get it to open as a real pdf, i had to open it with winzip 7 and then select "open outside". This is completely different than any other pdf experience I'm used to. As you can see, i've tried this multiple ways. I'd say don't zip the file. I should be able to click on a pdf and see it as a pdf in chrome as downloaded (lower left download tab) and not as a zip.
Capture.JPG
Still a nice piece of work though.

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Russ, will let Jeremy know.

ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Jeebus, Russ. From the screenshot, looks like someone needs to clean out their Download folder. ;)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

That cleanup is automated, and i don't run it every day. no reason to. The problem is still the Zip.