Tapatalk plug-in not working

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Tapatalk plug-in not working

Post by Brien »

A few days ago I was prompted to sign-in to my HST account on Tapatalk for both my iPad and iPhone. When I do so it just hangs, nothing happens. I've tried on several occasions over the last few days with no success. I even logged out of my web browser and logged back on to make sure I'm using the same password.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tapatalk plug-in not working

Post by rlown »

I'm on an Android Samsung S4. I logged in with Google permissions. I was able to log a reply to a message which I then deleted. So I went one step further, and logged out of Tapatalk. When I tried to log back in, it balked. I got a message "network error, please try again (get_config)"

Can't get back in on Tapatalk. I'm on 5.7.2 (build 660)

Just an FYI.. dunno if it helps.. Russ
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It just started working again.
Russ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:It just started working again.
Russ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Because I was working on it. :)

I did what I can. Hopefully it works for people, but if not, I can't guarantee ongoing support for Tapatalk since we now have a completely separate and very functional mobile browser version and that's the direction we're going in development. Tapatalk is increasingly pushing a more ecosystem-invasive approach (file modification-heavy) to use their platform and that concerns me. Becoming not worth it... If you haven't tested the mobile browser version out yet, I suggest you do!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

tested the chrome browser on the Android. works fine.

Russ
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:tested the chrome browser on the Android. works fine.

Russ
Good to hear. That's my setup as well. Interested to know if other configurations have issues.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

It's working for me again, thanks Eric!
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

To be clear, I 'want' to support Tapatalk for those whom use it because I know it offers several alternatives that may be seen as advantages over typical browser view. Right now we have about 10% of our active viewers (not necessarily members) using it. As I said, Tapatalk's approach is becoming a bit more intrusive (all we used to have to do was add a single folder of stand-alone files - done!). I mentioned file modification is a requirement of latest releases of Tapatalk, but what I didn't mention was embedding their own ads and making it optional to use the PM feature of this forum vs. their own PM feature is also something new. Not stoked about either of those developments. There's also an integration conflict with our design theme that's preventing me from full control over features in the forums backend. That might be something that can be worked out over time, but right now it has me somewhat frustrated when it comes to supporting this option. I will support it for now, until/unless it becomes a problem. :thumbsup:
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

I appreciate the insight and wasn't aware of the demands from Tapatalk. All I can offer is my experience. I go to a variety of forums and can hop around on Tapatalk in a matter of seconds as opposed to logging into individual websites via Safari that don't have the plug in. Personally I go to forums that don't support Tapatalk a lot less than those that do. I hope you'll keep it up. Thanks!
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Brien wrote:I appreciate the insight and wasn't aware of the demands from Tapatalk. All I can offer is my experience. I go to a variety of forums and can hop around on Tapatalk in a matter of seconds as opposed to logging into individual websites via Safari that don't have the plug in. Personally I go to forums that don't support Tapatalk a lot less than those that do. I hope you'll keep it up. Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback, Brien. Completely understand the need to keep it available if possible.
Can I ask, do you see ads when viewing HST? Do you see them when viewing other sites? Have you used the Tapatalk PM feature?