I keep getting a cached page

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

I keep getting a cached page

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Any idea why it is that when I go to the backpacking page I keep getting one from March 8? If I hit refresh I get the current page but if I go back from an individual thread I get the cached page again. I am getting this on serveral pages here, but I am not having it happen at other sites I am going to. Any thoughts?

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Thank you for informing us of your problem. This is the first I've heard of such an issue. I will check into it right away to see if this is a recurring problem with other users of this software, and if there might be a fix. In the meantime, can you please provide us with the current web browser brand/version you are using to access HST, as well as your operating system? If nothing else, I think I can give you instructions for how to modify your cache settings to possibly help resolve this problem.

Thank you. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I'm using wnidows 2000 and IE6. Though I will be replacing this beat up old machine soon. the funny thing is that this page loaded up just fine.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

I have it happen occasionally at different sites. Usually it happens when you have an uncontrolled exit - something crashed/hung up. The browser remembers where you were last...and keeps putting you back there.

The fix is to erase your browser's cache. This usually has something to do with temp files, history or cookies.

You probably don't recognize the problem on most other sites. Only those sites that keep a running log of things... like a forum.

In IE goto

Tools
- Internet Options
-- Temporary Internet Files
-- History

Clean up Temp Internet Files/Cookies first and see what happens. Then wack the History as a last resort.

Other browers (free) such as Opera and Mozilla Firefox don't have this problem as often. They also have specific directions to clear up CACHE.

One side note. If you clear out the files (cookies especially), you will have to re sign in. You are/were history.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Good point SPeacock.

FYI, in IE you can also use ctrl-F5 to clear the cache / refresh the view.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Doh! I forgot to get back to this thread and post a response... Sorry!

And thanks for stepping in, guys. ;)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix