Malicious site warning

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Malicious site warning

Post by SirBC »

I received a topic reply notification email that wound up in my spam folder, which is unusual for HST emails. When opening the email it shows a suspicious site warning:
m1.gif

Then when clicking on the link in the email it again warns that it is a suspicious link:
m2.gif

I'm wondering if the messages that spammers sometimes post here is being picked up during a Google crawl as malicious if it is linking to a known malicious site.
-------------
Dave | flickr
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Malicious site warning

Post by rlown »

This has been going on for months with the email notifications, and a majority have been going to my spam folder. Usually that behavior is triggered by too many links in the message, but who knows in this case.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

My suspicion is that because HST is not https, gmail and/or chrome is flagging the link. Google has been cracking down to try and get websites to move towards using https. It's not really a trivial move for not for profit sites like HST though...web hosting companies typically charge more for https capability, and on top of that there's the pain with paying for, acquiring, and installing the necessary certificates, redirecting pre-existing links, etc...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have noticed several spam messages (based on obviously odd names) in the High Sierra Passes sub-forum. I hesitate to open them. Will I get a virus if I open them to notify you about it? Anyway, I think there is one now that you need to delete.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I run Norton 360 on my PC's. I open them and report them with the "!" icon to the right, without a virus yet.. It seems pretty safe to do so.
For fun sometimes, I translate to English in google chrome just to see what they're peddling. Then, I put in a phrase and translate it to Russian and post it back before an Admin/Moderator takes down the thread. :derp: