High Sierra Map is broken

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Map is broken

Post by copeg »

Glad the fixes worked BSquared and SirBC.

@SirBC, we rarely ban by IP explicitly, but the forum software does have checks against 3rd party spam databases (within which the IP address posted in your screenshot is found). I made a small change to the threshold here, but if spam starts to return will have to set it back - I'm reluctant to lift any of these checks entirely for fear of going back to the dark ages of needing to delete hundreds of spam posts a day. I'll also mention @ERIC here to see if he has any ideas off the top of his head.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

It is unfortunate that, like so many things in life, a select few whom abuse VPN IPs basically ruin it for the rest of us. As Greg points out, we recently did have the blacklist feature disabled while the site was updated, and the increase in spam activity was insane.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

This isn't really a "broken" issue, it's a "how-to" issue: how do I pick coordinates off the map? I'd like to mark some cross-country passes on my paper USGS quads, and while I can certainly estimate visually where the mark should go, it'd be a lot better (OK, well maybe just "cooler" ;) )to have a lat/lon or UTM coordinates to go on.
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Looks like Lat/Long are in the URL associated with the pass.

example: Ritter / Banner Saddle

http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... =2&zoom=14
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Russ, are you looking at the gray-background stuff at the bottom of the map? That does seem to do the trick, and it's the only coordinates I see when I click on your link (but it is there, in each of the three link codes). It's also pretty far off when I type it in to Caltopo, but I haven't checked to see whether they are supposed to be using the same datum.
Last edited by BSquared on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm looking at the URL in the address bar at the top. The gray bars at the bottom contain the same info though with a bit of variation. I zoom in on the area I want, pick that and read off the Lat/Lon.

lat=37.691976794116&long=-119.1982146803

Is that not the info you want?
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Ah, didn't look there. Yes, that's it, but see my edit above. Wonder why the two are different?
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Greg will have to answer that one.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Never mind; it appears to be an issue with the location of that specific pass. I looked at a couple of others, and they line up perfectly on CalTopo
—B²
lunarlab
Topix Newbie

Post by lunarlab »

Greg,

Maybe you already know about this, but the map is showing the same error reported last September by mort. The map was working fine last week, but now it's showing as broken and various layers such as the topo are not available. I see this with Chrome and IE.

Ed