High Sierra Map is broken

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
zwoij
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: High Sierra Map is broken

Post by zwoij »

Well it does work with Microsoft's browser, but not with Chrome. Using Windows 10. Never happened before, as Chrome is my default. Oh well. I'll use Microsoft to access the map.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Whenever I try searching the map, I get "no results found" and this message: [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/highsier/public_html/high-sierra-map/search/SearchIndexer.php on line 196: Parameter 2 to mysqli_stmt::bind_param() expected to be a reference, value given

Any idea what's up?
—B²
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

BSquared wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:03 pm Whenever I try searching the map, I get "no results found" and this message: [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/highsier/public_html/high-sierra-map/search/SearchIndexer.php on line 196: Parameter 2 to mysqli_stmt::bind_param() expected to be a reference, value given

Any idea what's up?
Thanks for letting us know :thumbsup: Made a quick patch that seemed to fix, at least at quick glance. Please post back if you are still experiencing issues
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

Doesn't seem to be working in firefox. I get the "oops" message.
-------------
Dave | flickr
copeg

Post by copeg »

SirBC wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:33 pm Doesn't seem to be working in firefox. I get the "oops" message.
Hmm...don't see an issue with firefox on my end. Not too familiar with firefox oops, other than it usually occurs after firefox crashes. Can you elaborate a bit more? Is it the map itself, the search? Which OS?
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

I get this when clicking on the Map page:
hst.gif
This happens in Firefox, Chrome, and IE for me. I am behind a VPN. I won't be turning that off so can't test without. Hope that isn't the issue, but AT&T are absolute bastards with their DPI and selling of customer data so I don't surf without it. I did notice that when I posted my previous post that it said my IP was banned. I had to switch my VPN server just to post. I hope HST isn't just auto-banning all VPN IP's, there are other less Draconian methods of limiting spam, especially with VPN's starting to become de rigueur given all of the data collection that we are all faced with in today's world.
-------------
Dave | flickr
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks for the screenshot and description. Made a small change...any effect? (and, does the url in your browser contain a www prefix?)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm on Chrome:
Google Chrome is up to date
Version 72.0.3626.109 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The map works for me. Accesssed it from the community redirect.

Worked as well via Firefox.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

copeg wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 pm Thanks for the screenshot and description. Made a small change...any effect? (and, does the url in your browser contain a www prefix?)
Yep, that fixed it (and no "www" prefix in the browser):thumbsup:

However, again I had to change (twice) my VPN server just to post a reply:
Screenshot_2019-02-18 High Sierra Topix - Post a reply.png
Screenshot_2019-02-18 High Sierra Topix - Post a reply.png (8.56 KiB) Viewed 8382 times
Please consider using a method other than VPN blacklists to stop spam. There are only a finite number of VPN's, some (all?) of which spammers will use along side those of us that are security/privacy conscious. In several years of using this VPN service this is the only site I have come across that has been an issue. I get that this is just a big game of "wack a mole", but casting a net so wide that it catches legitimate users can't be the best solution. Please do reconsider.
-------------
Dave | flickr
BSquared
Founding Member

Re: High Sierra Map is broken, also IP blocking

Post by BSquared »

The search now works for me; THANKS!!! by the way, I'm using FireFox (on a Mac), and I've never had any problem other than that search difficulty with the map.

On another topic: Unfortunately, lots and lots of people use IP blacklisting, as I, too, have discovered after getting set up with a VPN. One of my closest colleagues is at a university that automatically rejects all my e-mail without even running it through a SPAM filter, so every time I e-mail him I have to remember to turn off the VPN. Grumble. Not really HST's problem, though, I'm afraid...
—B²