Random geometric patterns when openining HST

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Random geometric patterns when openining HST

Post by oldranger »

When logging into HST on my IMAC I am getting random geometric patterns. This doses not happen with any other websites or when logging on with my IPhone. Any suggestions to remedy?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Random geometric patterns when openining HST

Post by rlown »

can you capture a picture of the patterns? Is your Imac sw up to date? how old is the Imac?
Does it happen every time you log in?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Just opened it up since I posted and no issue so can't do screenshot but when it happens it is different. Yes iMac is up to date though several years old. No not all the time but 9 times out of 10. Important thing to me is that this is the only site it happens with.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I am not getting random geometric patterns, rather, I am getting the most in-your-face take-over-the-screen ads of any site I visit.
Can't this be notched down a bit? I did/ I am willing to support with an annual subscription.
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.47.17 PM.jpg
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Completely agree about the ads - I keep trying to turn off my ad blocker, but the level of ad annoyance on this site is greater than any other I visit, and I can't handle it. Would be thrilled to offer an annual financial donation instead, as I used to.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I use a Mac (~2013 version) and haven't had the random geometric pattern problem. Could it be that you have some sort of ad blocker that "fuzzes out" the ads? (I don't have an ad blocker).
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Same here with the pop-up ads. One of the more obnoxious i've encountered. Has anyone looked into it?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I suspect the pop ups are from google auto ads. I contacted Eric about them with a suggestion for how to turn off, as he’s the gatekeeper to the account to do so. Ball is in his court now
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

FYI since I first posted have not had the issue.
Mike

oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Well it started up again! Using Safari as my browser. Again this only happens with HST. I used Firefox just now to get to site and no issue.
Mike