Tabbles? BBCODE generally?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tabbles? BBCODE generally?

Post by BSquared »

I tried to compose a table in a PM today, but apparently the [table] bbcodes were ignored (and came out in the preview as "[table]," just as they do in this posting). Which bbcode codes are supported here? Just the ones in the little square boxes on the posting pages? In my quest, I went to the FAQ, which says something about a link on the posting page to bbcode help, and I couldn't find that, either. ](*,)
—B²
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tabbles? BBCODE generally?

Post by ERIC »

BSquared wrote:I tried to compose a table in a PM today, but apparently the [table] bbcodes were ignored (and came out in the preview as "[table]," just as they do in this posting). Which bbcode codes are supported here? Just the ones in the little square boxes on the posting pages? In my quest, I went to the FAQ, which says something about a link on the posting page to bbcode help, and I couldn't find that, either. ](*,)
Nope. Sorry, BSquared. Tables are not an option because A) I'm not convinced the custom BBCode is entirely secure, B) because that custom BBCode is complicated to use and I really don't have the time to teach people how to use it and/or trouble shoot problems I know most people will have, and C) because depending on how someone configures a table within a thread it might affect (stretch maybe?) the layout of the page frames. To demonstrate my point about complexity, here's an example of what you'd have to manipulate in order to add a simple table to a thread:

Code: Select all

[table][tr][tdo=5]Styled CSS table[/tdo][/tr][tr][td][b]Some text[/b][/td][td][b]Stoker[/b][/td][td][b]Nerdy[/b][/td][td][b]Peters[/b][/td][td][b]BBCode Bot[/b][/td][/tr][tr][td][b]Home:[/b][/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][/tr][tr][td][b]1 - 2:[/b][/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][/tr][tr][td][b]3 - 4:[/b][/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][/tr][tr][td][b]5 - 6:[/b][/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][/tr][tr][td][b]7 - 8:[/b][/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][/tr][tr][td][b]9 - 10:[/b][/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][td]test[/td][/tr][/table]

Yes, the BBCode help section link is on the posting page. It's a text link located just below the red devil emoticon. Here's a shortcut to the link to make it easier: faq.php?mode=bbcode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

ERIC wrote:...To demonstrate my point about complexity, here's an example of what you'd have to manipulate in order to add a simple table to a thread:

[table][tr][tdo=5]Styled CSS table[/tdo][/tr][tr][td][b]Some text[/b][/td][td][b]Stoker[/b][/td][td][b]Nerdy[/b][/td][td][b]Peters[/b][/td][td][b]BBCode Bot[/b][/td][/tr][tr][td][b]Home:[/b][/td][td]test[/td]...

Yes, the BBCode help section link is on the posting page. It's a text link located just below the red devil emoticon. Here's a shortcut to the link to make it easier: faq.php?mode=bbcode" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why, sonofagun, there it is, part of "BBCode is ON." OK, points well taken (although I did find a page that would generate the BBCode for you if you typed in a more "normal" table). Tabs don't seem to work, either. How would you advise someone who wanted to post, say, a schedule of one's projected JMT hike? :nod:
—B²
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

BSquared wrote:...(although I did find a page that would generate the BBCode for you if you typed in a more "normal" table).
BBCode tags in phpBB3 will only work if the associated html replacement has been added to the BBCode admin area.
BSquared wrote:Tabs don't seem to work, either. How would you advise someone who wanted to post, say, a schedule of one's projected JMT hike? :nod:
I've added a simple 3 column and a simple 2 column BBCodes you can play with. The buttons are named "col3" and "col2" and are next to the "Font colour" button in the posting screen. Here's an example of the 3 column code.:

[col3]This is the first column.  I hope you really enjoy reading the important content of this first column.|This is the second column.  I really hope you enjoy reading the important content of this second column.|This is the third column.  I really hope you enjoy reading the important content of this third and final column.[/col3]
And here's what it looks like when you post it:
This is the first column. I hope you really enjoy reading the important content of this first column.This is the second column. I really hope you enjoy reading the important content of this second column.This is the third column. I really hope you enjoy reading the important content of this third and final column.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

BSquared wrote:Tabs don't seem to work, either. How would you advise someone who wanted to post, say, a schedule of one's projected JMT hike? :nod:
Your other option is to attach an Excel spreadsheet to your post. :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I was trying to figure out tables when i did my "what does your pack weigh" summary. The example really helps.

Thanks Eric.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

You're welcome.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. Thought of a simple problem with the example. :retard: If i have, let's say a two column list in excel or word, and i want to post it as a table using the "col3" example, i must decouple the table into the two separate columns and then work madly at the spacing between the columns, esp if i want spacing between the items. There's no way to just import from either excel or word into a "table" area?

Russ
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:ok.. Thought of a simple problem with the example. :retard: If i have, let's say a two column list in excel or word, and i want to post it as a table using the "col3" example, i must decouple the table into the two separate columns and then work madly at the spacing between the columns, esp if i want spacing between the items. There's no way to just import from either excel or word into a "table" area?

Russ
If you have a two column list, you use the "col2" BBCode button mentioned above. And unfortunately, no, there's no way to simply cut and paste from an Excel spreadsheet or Word doc with columns and place the content into a column BBCode. Also keep in mind these are column BBCodes, not table BBCodes. An example two column list would be typed something like this:

[col2]1.
4.|One
Two
Three
Four[/col2]
And it turns out looking like this:
1. 2. 3. 4.One Two Three Four

Another option would be to create multiple columns stacked on top of one another, like this:

[col2]1.
|One
Two
[/col2][col2]3.
|Three
Four
[/col2]
Turns out looking like this:
1. 2.One Two
3. 4.Three Four