Email Private Messages

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Email Private Messages

Post by rayfound »

Another forum that I participate on, which also uses PHPBB, has the full text of any incoming PM included in the PM alert email that gets sent.

There's a couple of reasons I think its a great feature:

Easier to receive/read on mobile devices.
Stored permanently with all my email in a search able fashion. (Never delete an email, and I can go back and look at the information or whatever was contained in the PM)

Anyway, that's just one feature I really like, and I know its possible to do with a PHPBB board, though I have no idea what one has to do to make it work.

Cheers,
Ray
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Email Private Messages

Post by ERIC »

It's absolutely possible, although not a standard feature of the forum software where a simple preference can be changed in the Admin area. It requires a manual coding modification of a number of the files. I'll have a look and see if it's something I want to mess with. In years past I've heavily modified the board in order to add various custom features such as the one you're requesting. The problem I ran into is it makes version upgrades quite complicated and time consuming. More importantly, depending on what modifications have been made changes like that can also open up security vulnerabilities for hackers to exploit.
I'll get back to you after looking into this a bit.

P.S. What example forum are you referring to?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Email Private Messages

Post by ERIC »

Ray:
Got your PM. Thanks. I sent him an email. We'll see if something can't be worked out.

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix