Attachment Feature

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Attachment Feature

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Was thinking about the 2.5Mb attachment limit.. Does that imply that you now have storage associated with the HST site, and we should be somewhat careful with how much we post, and we don't have to post on an external site (eg, Flickr) and cross-reference anymore?

I know.. not the best grammar, but i think you get my questions.

Also, i'm assuming that if i posted 10 pics at 2Mb's each, that's ok with the upload feature?

Russ
The attachment feature has been around for some time now, and some people on here already use it in lieu of 3rd party photo hosting sites. However, user be warned that HST is not and never will be a place that serves to replace such services. For one thing, all attachments are to a particular thread and the capability of creating albums is not and will not be a feature here at HST. Additionally, while every effort will be made to protect submitted content, I cannot warrant or guarantee the continued existence or security of any content posted - including photos and file attachments. The "RULES FOR POSTING ON HST" should also be reviewed thoroughly before posting any attachments.

Current file size limit is 2.5Mb because there's really no reason for anyone to post anything larger than that here, and right now I don't have unlimited storage and bandwidth. There are plenty of free photo optimization utilities out there one can use to shrink down rather large photos. If someone were to make a compelling case for why the limit needs to be slightly higher I would hear it, but again, it would need to be a rather compelling argument. That being said, this rule is only for my current hosting account. My contract will be up in the next year, and there are a number of unlimited space/bandwidth options I currently have my eye on which would for the most part eliminate this from being much of an issue. However, I do think there will always be some limits in place.

10 pics to a single post is fine. But 10 is the current limit per post.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix