Information Requests

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Information Requests

Post by maverick »

Windknot wrote "The best way to avoid encouraging repetitive requests is
probably to not reply to them, and eventually they'll take the hint and start
using the "search" function."

That will work with some folks, but some may take it as being shunned, and
will not return, believe me, some folks are very sensitive.
Included as a reminder, to use the "Search Function", is part of the intro e-mail they
get when joining, and being part of the "SUGGESTION FOR REQUESTING TRIP
ADVICE" seems to help, but not always.
Would prefer to advocate helping folks, by making them aware of this function in
your replies, it will probably get better results, for most right off the bat, and probably
even get the more difficult cases to comply in the long run, by being helpful.
It shows our great willingness here at HST to help the newer, and older members alike.
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

windknot wrote: This apparently-not-quite-old-enough person wants to inquire what exactly is a dander? :D
From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dander
dan·der
n. Informal
Temper or anger: What got their dander up?
[Perhaps alteration of dunder, fermented cane juice used in rum-making, fermentation, possibly alteration of Spanish redundar, to overflow, from Latin redundre; see redundant.]
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

and, by using the search function, It appears you are the only one who uses that term on the HST, B2 :D
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

I have to say I find you folk incredibly patient and measured in your responses. I have to restrain my snarkiness and just ask hard questions of these folks.

There is a very basic fear among people about confronting the unknown. I used to be afraid of leading a trip to a place that I had not been to before. I got over it quickly, but many do not. Add this to the "I'm in charge" attitude and the narcisism that is currently so much a part of our culture and you wind up with what you see on the boards.

It would also be interesting to see how many who ask questions come back and post their trip or, for that matter, post any trail reports. This would distinguish those that just think we are just a volunteer answer service and those that see the board as a community.