Snow Pack data has Hostel Info? Shouldn't that be in Lodging

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
surfingmarmot
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Snow Pack data has Hostel Info? Shouldn't that be in Lodging

Post by surfingmarmot »

I was looking for snow pack data and I got hostel info?!?!?!
I can see why that might be useful but shouldn't it be in a lodging and accommodations sticky and not under snow pack? While it's great info for some folks looking for a place to stay, it seems to be misplaced.

For instance, wouldn't data from the following site be more useful for instance regarding snow pack and levels?

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by surfingmarmot on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You will never regret getting up too early, and you'll always regret getting up too late, but sometimes you may regret giving up too late." -- Mountaineer's Adage
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snow Pack data has Hostel Info? Shouldn't that be in Lodging

Post by rlown »

could you perhaps be referring to Eric's signature at the end of his post?
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:could you perhaps be referring to Eric's signature at the end of his post?
That would be my guess.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

surfingmarmot wrote:I was looking for snow pack data and I got hostel info?!?!?!
I can see why that might be useful but shouldn't it be in a lodging and accommodations sticky and not under snow pack? While it's great info for some folks looking for a place to stay, it seems to be misplaced.
On that note, shouldn't your question have been posted in the Comments & Suggestions forum, or Technical Problems & Questions forum (where I've since decided to move it), rather than in the Fishing Hole where you posted it?
surfingmarmot wrote:For instance, wouldn't data from the following site be more useful for instance regarding snow pack and levels?

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As far as I know, that thread does in fact contain MULTIPLE links to the cdec website.

Observe:
ERIC wrote:This thread lists some of the available online resources for obtaining Sierra Nevada snow pack, river and stream flow data/info:

DWR Bulletin 120

National Snow Analyses - NOHRSC - Sierra Nevada Maps

National Snow Analyses 3D Interface - NOHRSC - Sierra Nevada GoogleEarth kmz files

Daily regional snowpack plots

Current Snowpack by Watershed

Most Recent Snow ( Water Content ) Data by Location

Active Snow Depth Sensors in California

River Flows

Avalanche Information: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good List of Snow Hydrology Links: http://www.westernsnowconference.org/snowLinks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sierra Nevada Webcams: http://www.sierravisionsstock.com/sierr ... a-webcams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This list will be updated as new resources are discovered.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
surfingmarmot
Topix Acquainted

Post by surfingmarmot »

Snow Pack.png
All I saw was the signature for some reason. Maybe it is a browser issue. I was on Safari on a Mac.
Sorry for the concern, but all I saw were two links and those are in his sig.
WHy wouldn't one put all the links on the post?
Instead one sees a vague reference to another post and two links.
the first reaction is to click on the more prominent links.
It's your forum, run it how you like, but I, coming from several other forums, find it not the norm.
My two cents. Feel free to ignore and delete this thread if you feel otherwise and don't see the need for making it more user friendly. Usually the most important links on a page are the most prominent per general web practice. Just pointing that out.

Here is all I see captured in a screen shot:
"You will never regret getting up too early, and you'll always regret getting up too late, but sometimes you may regret giving up too late." -- Mountaineer's Adage
surfingmarmot
Topix Acquainted

Post by surfingmarmot »

ERIC wrote: On that note, shouldn't your question have been posted in the Comments & Suggestions forum, or Technical Problems & Questions forum (where I've since decided to move it), rather than in the Fishing Hole where you posted it?
Perhaps I would have if I was more familiar with your particular code and procedures and the locations of various parts of the forum—every forum has it's own set of rules and layout which are not easily grasped to new comers. Don't take umbrage. I find that layout confusing. Most sites put in the links right on the page. Your Sig's link confuse things and might be best left off in that post so they don't confuse. THey were the most prominent links I saw of the three on the page—hardly what I expected. I am sorry you don't take my confusion in a positive light but instead blame me. that is of course your privilege since you run the show and I don't. Enough said. No more from me on this. Do what you will. I was trying to help but instead I get derision. Lesson learned for this forum.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

That thread was just a placeholder, but I can see how it might cause confusion. I edited the post to clarify the link within it.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

surfingmarmot wrote:Don't take umbrage.
I haven't, and I hope you will take your own advise as well.

surfingmarmot wrote:I was trying to help but instead I get derision
I thought I had responded appropriately, and I'm sorry it came across that way. Wasn't my intent.

As copeg states, I do see where the confusion could have been. I'm glad he's made the correction. My sig is fine, though. FWIW, you're the first member out of a total of over 2000 who has ever complained about it. I'm also not the only one on HST with sig links - not to mention many other forums out there. It's common. As is this forum software we use. Not sure what other forums you regular, but phpBB is the most widely used free Open Source out there.
surfingmarmot
Topix Acquainted

Post by surfingmarmot »

Eric,

We're good. thanks for the update. This is a great site, sorry this took a bad turn. But all is well from my view. thanks for helping create such a great site. You and all the team. I hope to be adding some reports soon this year.