Introducing a new HST feature - the High Sierra Topix Map. This map contains information specifit to the High Sierra which is added and edited by curators1 - taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge HST members have to offer.
Based upon google maps, its features include:
- Topo map and satellite options
- Custom Information organized by category. The current categories cover the High Sierra region, and include:
- Cross-country passes.
- 7.5' USGS topo maps with links to download the full topo as a TIFF.
- Fishless lakes, annotated based upon giantbrookie's Fish Kill and Lost Lake thread
- 13k and 14k peaks
- Hot spring, waterfalls, food resupply locations, difficult seasonal creek crossings, and more…
- Full browser page map views
- Recent updates page.
- Search feature of all map items or those only within select categories.
- Ability to link to the map from the forums (note that currently, the map cannot be embedded within the forums) using the text below the map
Quite a bit of work went into this feature, and a great many thanks goes out to those that made this possible. Maverick for the idea; Eric for the permission; Eric, markskor, myself, and especially Maverick for entering in the information currently displayed on the map; giantbrookie for valuable fishing information; all HST admin and moderators for their help, suggestions, testing, and debugging; Google and ArcGIS for their available tools. All the software (save for the actual google map itself) was written by me - any suggestions, problems, bug reports, etc…should be posted in the comments and suggestions forum or sent directly to me (please be sure to read the FAQ and make sure your question isn't addressed there).
1Not all HST members are map editors, and our current list of editors is small until all kinks are worked out of the system, and we are sure we can open it up more to a wider audience of editors.