High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Map - Comments and Suggestions

Post by copeg »

Ska-T wrote:Very minor - The position of cross country pass Cinder Col is slightly too far south.
Thanks ska-T. :thumbsup: I moved it a bit north to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully its more correct now
copeg

Post by copeg »

Please see the Introducing the HST High Sierra Map announcement for a description of recent updates to the map. Please keep in mind that (time permitting) I plan to fidget some more, so I apologize in advance for any abnormalities one may experience during this time (but it also means it's a good time for feature suggestions ;) ).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i tested it a bit. It looks fine.

Great Job!
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

The map type (mt=) in URL doesn't seem to work.
Example: http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... om=15&mt=3
It shows Google terrain instead of ArcGIS topo.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks Russ and Tomba (and everyone else) for test driving it.

Tomba, thanks for catching that - should be fixed now but will test a bit more thoroughly later today.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

HST Map is up next for a style redesign. It will take at least a few days to redo it, so please hold off on issues/testing comments until we post back here. Thanks!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by norcalhiker »

copeg wrote:
norcalhiker wrote:Also, can we open up the data set? How do we download the information? Load it in Google Earth? Create derivative products?
Its on the top of the list of objectives...to both answer the last question (eg licensing) and to provide direct access to the data. Thanks for your feedback norcalhiker!
I'd still really love to be able to use the cross country pass dataset in places other than the HST map. It's fantastic information, and I find myself copying the HST dataset manually onto other products (like my GPS and Caltopo). I'd love to just load up the cross country passes in products like caltopo for use in trip planning. Without this, it's a lot of going back and forth between tabs. Some trips require copying a dozen or more cross country passes..

Just putting my vote in for this feature again. I'd love a GPX or KML of that data.

Thanks to everyone that works on this project!

I'm not very savy with this stuff, but for licensing, why not give it a creative commons license? How about this one: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/. For a volunteer project like HST, anything other than CC would be too time intensive to manage, or too restrictive for the free flow of knowledge (ie. don't use my copyrighted material, ever.)

For distributing the data, version control would be important. A KML that loads the most recent data each time would be good. Or perhaps just flag the version/date for the dataset very prominently so that people know to go back to HST for the most recent version.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks for the suggestion @norcalhiker. Sorry it took so long to implement, but I've just made the listings contained within each individual category available for download (via the icon links to the right of each category at the top of the map). Downloads are currently only available in the KML file format.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

"Sorry it took so long?" TWO DAYS! Holy Criminy, Copeg, you're amazing! Thanks *very* much!

Norcal, your post is the first I've heard about Caltopo. I went there, and it looks pretty cool, but tell me more about how one uses it (maybe send me a PM, so we don't hijack this thread completely :D ).
—B²
copeg

Post by copeg »

BSquared wrote:"Sorry it took so long?" TWO DAYS! Holy Criminy, Copeg, you're amazing! Thanks *very* much!
You're welcome, wish I could take credit for two days...over 2 1/2 years since first requested earlier in thread. Man how time flies :D