HST from iPhone

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: HST from iPhone

Post by ERIC »

See caption
Attachments
Looks like all you have to do is click the arrow, circled in RED here.  But again, I don't have an iPhone or iPad to test.
Looks like all you have to do is click the arrow, circled in RED here. But again, I don't have an iPhone or iPad to test.
mzl.utxukjpf.320x480-75.jpg (48.51 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: HST from iPhone

Post by bheiser1 »

Sorry, TheOtherTom, I logged in tonight to respond to your question about the steps to use TouchBB, but I see someone beat me to it. It's been one of those weeks...
bheiser1
Topix Regular

question about forum message sort order

Post by bheiser1 »

Hi - I apologize in advance if I'm just being a dunce about this. But I have been trying to figure out the sort order for forum threads. On other forums I frequent, I've become accustomed to threads being displayed in reverse order based on the most recent post. However on HST that isn't the case, and I'm not sure what the order actually is.

For example, just now I checked the "Beyond the Sierra" forum and the threads are listed like this:

State Parks on the chopping block (last post May 28, 2011)
Autumn in Quebec (last post Nov 6, 2011)
TR Trinity Alps (last post Oct 31, 2011)
TR- Ruby Mountains (last post Oct 21, 2011)
Trinity Alps question (last post Oct 19, 2011)

See what I mean? Am I missing something blatantly obvious that would help me sort the threads in a more familiar manner? In a browser on the PC I just scan the list to look for recently-updated threads. It's not ideal, but doable. However when using the TouchBB (Lite) app on the iPhone, as suggested here recently, it's actually more difficult to tell when threads have new posts.

Thanks in advance! :)
ERIC

Re: question about forum message sort order

Post by ERIC »

Hi bheiser1:

The first post is a "sticky", meaning that it's been stuck to the top of its respective forum regardless of when the last post was made (on the PC version a light bulb icon next to a post will indicate that status). The rest, as near as I can tell, are in reverse order of the last post, which is what you're after, right? As I said in another thread on this forum, I don't have an iPhoneinexchangeforyoursoul, so can't test. ;)

EDIT: I made the first post a standard post, so it should be dropped down to its native position now. Should have been un-stickied a long time ago but didn't notice it until now.
Does this help?
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

Hi Eric, thanks for the info. You're right, the sorting is actually just fine. I failed to connect the light bulb symbol with "sticky". On the iPhone, with TouchBB, they're sorted correctly too ... but there there is no indication of the "sticky" status, hence my confusion.

The one other thing that's still puzzling is that some threads are yellow and others are grey. I thought one color or the other might mean "unread", but I've tested that with a negative outcome.

Here's what it looks like in TouchBB (first two pages of the Beyond the Sierra forum). I do see the "stickies" start off with an "Announcements" header, but there's no indication of where the Announcements end.

Maybe I'm just being dense :retard: .

p.s. the "Ruby Mountains" one shows twice because I left it there in the second shot to show the continuity.
IMG_1404.PNG
Attachments
IMG_1405.PNG
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Interesting. I looked it up, and highlighted threads are supposed to be unread. Some are multiple pages, so may remain highlighted until you've clicked through each of the pages. I've also read that TouchBB 2.0 has shake to reload, so you might try shaking your phone when on the active topics page (the one you provided screenshots for).

This thread, and this help forum in general may help answer some of your user-related questions:

http://support.messageforums.net/all-ac ... t1079.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

Thanks again Eric. I'll research further and report back :).

p.s. I hate to seem like I'm being choosy, but I wondered if you have considered Tapatalk support. It appears it supports phpBB, like TouchBB. I haven't tried it myself,but it's score in the App Store is much higher, and may be more widely used. At least on the surface it seems like it may be more "polished". Unfortunately it's $2.99 instead of free/99cents. I wonder if it's "better enough" to be worth it... just wondering :)

Thanks for your support!
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

bheiser1 wrote:p.s. I hate to seem like I'm being choosy, but I wondered if you have considered Tapatalk support.
Yes, I even mentioned TapaTalk in an earlier post to this thread. It's installed now. Let me know how it works. Might try it myself since it is available for both iPhone and Android, but going to wait until I get a new phone on Cyber Monday. No point paying to install on an old phone..
bheiser1
Topix Regular

HST from iPhone

Post by bheiser1 »

Ok, cool. I just installed Tapatalk and am using it now to reply. So far so good! I'll update later when I've been able to use it for a while

Thanks again! :-)
bheiser1
Topix Regular

HST from iPhone

Post by bheiser1 »

Tapatalk seems to be working great. IMO it is far better than TouchBB, albeit pricey for an iPhone app. But it does have a much more polished feel, and a good feature set.

One thing I have noticed with both apps is that some images don't display. I have attached an example here. As you can see, it shows up as a box containing a red question mark. Interestingly, some photos do appear. Maybe those were originally attached using a different method?
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321819851.297836.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321819775.441365.jpg