How to search for locations w common words like "Junction Pa

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

How to search for locations w common words like "Junction Pa

Post by acvdmlac »

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any way to search more efficiently for topics and discussions when the name of the location I am interested is made up of very common words like "Junction Pass" and "Center Basin?" Both of these search entries find over 600 posts with the very common words "junction" "pass" or "center" and "basin" sprinkled throughout them, however I am only looking for info about THE Junction Pass and Center Basin at the Kings-Kern Divide...the way the search engine is set up, it works well for unique names like "Milly's" (Foot Pass) but I can't figure out how to narrow search results for Junction Pass and Center Basin! Any advice much appreciated! :rolleyes:

Thanks!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How to search for locations w common words like "Junction Pa

Post by ERIC »

Have you tried combining the two (e.g. search: "Junction Pass Center Basin"), or, combining one or the other with additional physical/place names you know to exist in the area? Just by combining terms as my example demonstrates, the return was only ~40 matches rather than 600. :D

Hope this helps,
Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
pez_leon
Topix Novice

Post by pez_leon »

Try pasting this into google and see if you're pleased with the results:

Code: Select all

site:highsierratopix.com "junction pass"
I find that for most searches of internet fora, google is better than the site's own search feature. Even if you leave off the quotes in the above search, it does a much better job of retrieving relevant posts- in this case, posts in which the two words abut.
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

A good suggestion, also.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
acvdmlac
Topix Acquainted

Post by acvdmlac »

Thank you both, yes, both suggestions cut down on the # of posts that simply have the words "junction" and "pass" in them...