Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted

Post by fishmonger »

Getting that error on my main system, which doesn't seem to be blacklisted (because when I click on that warning after trying to post, the "Spamhaus.org" site tells me I am not blacklisted. However, in this forum, I cannot post.

Trying to post from a different system on the same subnet - if this goes through, it's the other system (I tried a Gmap embed preview, after that, nothing worked)

edited this post from the .164 system - go figger.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Your IP has been blocked because it is blacklisted

Post by markskor »

Happens to me occasionally too...not your fault, or HST's.

Living in the mountains, no hard internet available here, so I use a wireless "MIFI" thing from AT&T.

Now let me guess...You have something wireless too?
Every time you/I log in on your/my wireless thing, you get a new IP address - some of these are corrupt, previously used by those un-scrupulus spammer types. Spamhaus recognizes these bad IP addresses and then bans/blacklists you - will not let you respond to the threads?

I power down my Mifi and hope for a clean IP address when it re-boots. So far this has happened 3X this month...called AT&T...no viable response.
](*,)
Mountainman who swims with trout
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

markskor wrote:Happens to me occasionally too...not your fault, or HST's.

Living in the mountains, no hard internet available here, so I use a wireless "MIFI" thing from AT&T.

Now let me guess...You have something wireless too?)

negative. This is a hardwired server that has a fixed IP number, and it has been at that IP for about 6 years, campus network, directly hooked to one of the fastest university networks with multiple 10 gigabit backbones. I avoid wireless like the plague.

the second machine that failed, too, is also hardwired, same network. And now I am posting from the first one again, and it works again.

What exactly is doing this "blacklist check" on HST? it clearly comes from the forum software, and I bet there is some silly check in there that occasionally goes :puke:
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I just checked spamhaus through both the web and the software and the IP in the picture of your first post is clean.

Is the problem consistent or intermittent?
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I encountered the same problem today, first on a computer at work, then here at home. I couldn't post from work, posted once from home, was refused a second post from home a couple of hours later, then tried again and the second post went through from home.

Mike

P.S. -- just happened again. Your IP 67.5.169.202 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=67.5.169.202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'm going to preview again and try to submit again.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

copeg wrote:I just checked spamhaus through both the web and the software and the IP in the picture of your first post is clean.

Is the problem consistent or intermittent?
intermittent - obviously, I was able to post from both systems. It started when I tried to embed a Gmap4 map with GPX file hosted on the .164 system - after that, no way to post there. I went to the other system to post the first message in this thread, but then was unable to add the screenshot with a second post. Waited about an hour before editing that message from the originally blocked system.

There was a brief message from "google" flashing across my screen when the Gmap embed failed - weird, since I was actually linking to the T4 map set, not the google maps, nor was I using a google-hosted gps file.

Anyway - posting from a wireless system at home now - let's see how that goes...
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Mike M. wrote:I encountered the same problem today, first on a computer at work, then here at home. I couldn't post from work, posted once from home, was refused a second post from home a couple of hours later, then tried again and the second post went through from home.

Mike

P.S. -- just happened again. Your IP 67.5.169.202 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=67.5.169.202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'm going to preview again and try to submit again.

I think Spamhaus is the problem - I just checked your IP and it is actually showing as blacklisted!

"67.5.169.202 is listed in the PBL, in the following records:
•PBL1526860"

Content of that message:
Ref: PBL1526860

67.5.128.0/17 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outbound Email Policy of Qwest for this IP range:

It is the policy of Qwest that email sent from a dynamically assigned IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Qwest customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation as provided by their ISP or contact Qwest Technical Support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removal Procedure

If you are not using normal email software but instead are running a mail server and you are the owner of a Static IP address in the range 67.5.128.0/17 and you have a legitimate reason for operating a mail server on this IP, you can automatically remove (suppress) your static IP address from the PBL database.

About The PBL

The Spamhaus Policy Block List ("PBL") is an international anti-spam system maintained by The Spamhaus Project in conjunction with Internet Service Providers and is used by Internet networks to enforce inbound email policies. The PBL database lists end-user IP address ranges which should not be delivering unauthenticated email to any mail server except those provided for specifically for that customer's use. The PBL lists only IP addresses (not domains or email addresses).

For full information on how the PBL operates please see the PBL Home page and the PBL Frequently Asked Questions.
http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL1526860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Been happening to me too when trying to post from my work computer or iPhone -on break of course :) When I get home I can post from any device with no errors.

Check that........just tried to post this message from home and I'm getting the error. Strange.

Ladd
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

Keeps happening to me also.
I'm no suture for my future.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Yikes. Didn't know so many were having these issues.

I've made a slight change to the software for the time being. We'll try this setting for a while and see how it works. Please let us know how it goes!