Sticky? Beginners or beginner backpacking routes?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
TCHN DAD
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sticky? Beginners or beginner backpacking routes?

Post by TCHN DAD »

Hi,

I am very thankful to have found this forum! It has been terribly helpful in getting my footing (no pun intended) beginning to set up a beginner backpacking trip.

As an additional aide, I wanted to suggest putting in a sticky for newbies that would include suggestions for beginner backpacking trips and other beginning tips.

One of my biggest hardships was reading through the forums and having no idea where any of the trips were located. To me they are just names of places. To the uninitiated, its all so overwhelming.

I am not complaining, I just thought it would be a good idea to have a beginners forum.

With Thanks

Rod W.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sticky? Beginners or beginner backpacking routes?

Post by ERIC »

Backpacking Basics as a sub-forum. I like the idea!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
TCHN DAD
Topix Novice

Post by TCHN DAD »

ERIC wrote:Backpacking Basics as a sub-forum. I like the idea!
Hey Eric,

Wow, I feel like a proud Papa!

I just saw it go up. Great title for the forum. I think it's great you are going through the forums and moving stuff over.

Keep up the great work! :)

Rod
TCHN DAD
Topix Novice

Post by TCHN DAD »

I was researching trekking poles and this thread popped up on someone getting back into backpacking. IT has a lot of good advice for beginners as well. Just my two cents. Maybe it's worthy to put in the backpack 101 forum.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9410&p=71098&hilit ... es+#p71098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Continueing on the 21 pages of trecking pole threads, I found this one on trail shoes with mention of trekking poles. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7641&hilit=trekking+poles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suitable for beginner 101?

Rod
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

No problem. I move the first thread you suggested, but not the second. I have to use a little discretion in which posts to move and which ones to leave where they are. And it appears you are discovering the power of the search feature of this site - posts don't always have to be organized and located in any one particular way in order to be easily discoverable. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix