Trout Ceviche

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trout Ceviche

Post by maverick »

For those of you how have not tried this or even heard of Ceviche let meintroduce you to a no-cook method of preparing your trout.
Ceviche is almost like a fruit cocktail in which the acid from the citrus juice cooks the fish.
For the citrus lemon, lime juice are the most often used, but you can use these in conjunction with pineapple, orange, or even pomegranate juice.
-Zest from the citrus citrus add a lot flavor.
-Chilies like jalapeno, serrano, and habanero for the more adventurous can be used.
-Tequila is also used in some recipes.
-Onions, red onions, garlic, or scallions can be used in any combo.
-Cilantro is the main herb use, but parsley can also be used.
-Bell peppers, fennel, tomatoes, and avocado can also be used.
-Carrots, pineapples, and mango nectar to name a few, can also be used.
-Of coarse coarse salt is used in most recipes, and olive oil in some.

You can us the exotic additions of ginger, fish sauce, sambal oelek, and hoisin sauce to give it an asian twist.

In most cases you combine the zest and juice, onions, peppers or /and other vegetables, tequila if using, and olive oil, stir mixing well.
Season the fish with salt let sit at room temp for 5 minutes, then add fish to our ceviche base and stir, making sure to completely cover fish with the liquid.
This can all be done in a zip lock bag, and keep cool in a stream or snow, cover a let sit 2 hrs or longer, stirring occasionally, then devour.
Last edited by maverick on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Trout Ceviche

Post by rlown »

Maverick, Thanks for posting this.

Most Ceviche is made with easily boned fish. With your cooking background, would it be possible to kinda "cook" the trout in the acid/salt mix first and then recombine it with the other ingredients after one can pull the filet from the bones?

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The easiest method is just cleaning and filleting the trout, and then
cutting into 1" cubes.
You can salt and place into acid mix first, and then add it too the
ceviche base if you want too.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Thanks for posting Maverick. Honestly never thought of having trout ceviche until recently. Although last time I had ceviche was in Mexico...and I'll leave it at that :puke: :D
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok,

So, i'm trying to rationalize what i'm actually hiking in (veggie wise) for this. I'm thinking:

Cilantro
4 limes
Salt
1 Tomato
1 Red onion
1 head of garlic (i can use the rest i dont use here)
2 jalapenos (i'm not gonna risk the habanero)
1 Mango or other sweet part to the mix
1 bell pepper (probably red)

Maverick, would this be the basics for a trout ceviche?

My thought was to clean the trout, put them in the lime juice salt mixture for a few hours (unless a bear found them first,) then pull the bones out per classic after cooking style for a trout, and then back in the bag with some garlic and spices for another hour, and then make the salsa to serve with the trout.

Again, i dont like bones in my dinner.

Russ
gtw_smooth_ambler
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gtw_smooth_ambler »

Resurrecting this thread in the hopes of getting a little help. Not Sierra, but I'm going to do some surf fishing while backpacking out in the Channel Islands. Would it be possible to make the leche de tigre (the 'ceviche 'mix) the night before, throw it in a nalgene and then use a day or two later?

Or am I better off hauling in a good knife and cutting baord and doing all the veggies fresh?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You can chop the vegetables ahead of time, keeping them in a separate ziplock bags, but don't mix in the acid components (lime, lemon, or other), keep it separate until you are ready to add the fish.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gtw_smooth_ambler
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gtw_smooth_ambler »

That makes a lot of sense. Many thanks Maverick!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Way back when, I used to make some killer Abalone ceviche.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

gtw_smooth_ambler wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:11 am Resurrecting this thread in the hopes of getting a little help. Not Sierra, but I'm going to do some surf fishing while backpacking out in the Channel Islands. Would it be possible to make the leche de tigre (the 'ceviche 'mix) the night before, throw it in a nalgene and then use a day or two later?

Or am I better off hauling in a good knife and cutting baord and doing all the veggies fresh?
If you want to see some catch-and-eat cerviche videos with saltwater fish caught along the California Coast (don't recall that he's done one with trout, but he may have) check out Taku of Outdoor Chef's Life on YouTube. I haven't tried this myself but watching any of his videos makes me hungry.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;