paleo backcountry food

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: paleo backcountry food

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Seriously, you need to learn to "make" your own backpack food. People who dehydrate their own backpack food swear by it. Yes, you hydrate it with boiling water, but it does not need to be "cooked". Also seriously learn to identify plants and forage while you backpack. What about fishing? I am not a super-fisherman and have had little trouble catching fish for dinner as long as I get to camp with about 1 hour of time to fish. But, wild fish need to be cooked because they often have parasites. If your paleo-diet is a digestive thing, rather than philosophical, try eating cooked fish at home to see if it works.

My sympathies to you for digestive problems. Good for you for backpacking when many in your situation may just give up and sit on the couch! John Muir would to the mountains to heal and become healthy. He was on to something.
RichardNixon06
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardNixon06 »

Thanks daisy it does do me good to get out to the mountains and reset. Ive considered getting a dehydrater and have been looking up recipes and how to do it. It does seem like a much better alternative. Never caught fish for dinner but im open to the idea.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

RichardNixon06 wrote:Its not about having a certain philosophy. I have ulcerative colitis and the paleo diet has changed how I feel and how my body processes food. Im not about to get all crazy and start hiking naked or anything but its really not fun to be in the backcountry and start having gastrointestinal distress. And thanks maverik ill check those out
Ok.. new plan.. It's not about the "diet" plan. It's about how to translate your current home plan into backpacking food, and amp it up for caloric intake. That should be your focus. Not sure if fruit is in that plan, but.. It really depends on you and what you're comfortable eating. A dehydrator is only in the cards if your diet drives you that direction. It's pretty obvious a Mountain House meal should not be in your future plans.

Glad you're still out doing things in the backcountry.

Russ