Western Sierras, Domeland Wilderness

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
littlefish
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Western Sierras, Domeland Wilderness

Post by littlefish »

I am going to Manter Meadow with my volunteer group, Los Padres Forest Association (LPFA) to clear trails for a week. I'm the camp chef and would like to know if there are any edible plants near Manter Meadow. Does anyone have any information about this area? There is very little that I can find online. Thanks in advance. BTW, If any group is going on a trip and needs a cook, just let me know. thanks. lf.
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular

Re: Western Sierras, Domeland Wilderness

Post by BillyBobBurro »

Acorns and pinon pine but I think both of those resources are seasonal and more then likely not very abundant due to the severe drought
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

Hi littlefish,
Here is a book: http://www.amazon.com/A-Survival-Handbo ... 0915580039. All you need to know. What I've found is that mostly there are a few cranberries that aren't too tart to eat and some pine needles make tea that doesn't give you the runs. There are few well known plants that grow in different localities, which is what you are asking. I don't know the specific ranges of any of the plants I've eaten. Anyway, 2 weeks ago between Crescent Meadow and Tamarack Lake we saw: Miner's lettuce and thistle, both abundant enough to make a real addition to a meal. Elsewhere there are wild onions in many swampish areas, you can smell them. Also by smell there are a few safe mints. Further north in the Redwood Meadow area we had wild strawberries. I imagine any of these could pop up almost anywhere.
Good luck!
-mort
littlefish
Topix Novice

Post by littlefish »

Thanks for the replys. What got me really interested were the onions i came upon near 1st Lake on the NF of Big Pine Creek. They were delecious and plentiful. I did note that they were plentiful whre the ground was damp which will not be the case in Domeland Wilderness. I am making a mean batch of chicken and sausage gumbo to have night 1. I will check out the books. Thanks again. lf.