Homemade Kind Bars

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Homemade Kind Bars

Post by fishmonger »

update - I made a batch of Blueberry Pecan - only issue was I toasted the pecans a little too long (bitter). The rest worked perfectly. Absolutely the same consistency as the store bought stuff, maybe just a little stickier once in your mouth. Love it. You will absolutely need a candy thermometer to get the rice syrup/honey mix up to the right temp. I was amazed how hot it has to get (use a tall pot - it will foam for a while before it gets there).

I'll will soon make a bunch of the other flavors to test, and then several larger batches for our summer trip (7 weeks... the logistics clock is already ticking), post some images when I get them done. We'll still pack a bunch of Pro Bars and a variety of protein and larabars. The moist type bars, I am no comfortable to make at home. Too likely to go bad on us.

We usually only eat 2 bars each a day, max, so I can't relly say we ever got tired of eating them. Although Clif bars are just plain disgusting to me, and peanut butter flavor in any bar is something I avoid. I just don't like peanuts that much.
cherron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cherron »

003.JPG
I have made these kind bars and they turn out really good. But the article says the shelf life is only a week. I think this would be true for the ones with fruit especially. But they taste exactly like the originals
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kbarb
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by kbarb »

Another page of recipes to check :

Homemade power bar recipes
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-nut ... post201104

I think I liked post #5, an attempt to make a Clif Bar