Outdoor herbivore

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Outdoor herbivore

Post by Ultrajen »

I am new here but was so surprised to see bad reviews of outdoor herbivore. I would not make it through the back country without outdoor herbivore!! Less expensive than the main brands like Mountain house and really good! I love the black and quinoa and the speckled naked burrito. Are usually bring some cheese or tortillas to make it a meal. I love the pasta too. I am a vegetarian but regardless dehydrated me is just gross! My husband eats meat but he loves these meals.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Outdoor herbivore

Post by AlmostThere »

The only place I'll buy actual meals is Packit Gourmet. I just dehydrate things I make at home or use recipes from trailcooking.com, which relies on things you get at grocery stores, both options being much cheaper than prepackaged meals and easy to do -- throw leftovers in the dehydrator trays each night the week before the trip, done. Tuna Casserole, Chili, you name it.

Though I'm not a vegetarian the only meat I tend to eat while out is fish that I catch while I'm there...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Outdoor herbivore

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org