Meal Fixers

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Meal Fixers

Post by maverick »

What spice or sauce do you always take on a trip to liven up you meals? Hot dried peppers, hot sauce, or maybe some spice mix or hersb?
I like Louisiana Red Dot Hot Sauce and sometimes use some of Jimr's home-dried chili pepper flakes. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Meal Fixers

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I don't take anything, I just make sure to take tasty foods. But I do use Chaka's MMM Sauce for marinating the jerky meat (I make my own).
Last edited by Dave_Ayers on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

I really like Tapatio sauce on just about anything savory. And you can get them in convenient little packets (like fancy ketchup) on Amazon and other places.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Film cans with shaker lids containing:
1) lemon pepper
2) Italian spice blend (no salt)
3) cinnamon for whatever breakfast cereal is on the menu
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Salt. I push miles reasonably hard (for me) and find spicy stuff does not sit well.

All-in-all I am not great at eating when backpacking!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Last year I got hooked to hot "gruel" meals where everything is fairly wet; doesn't matter if it is beans, macaroni, mash, whatever. They just are more satisfying to me, and I don't drink enough water anyway. My go-to fixers for every meal are a splash of olive oil and chunks of gruyere. For taste variation I add things like carrot flakes, fake baco-bits or dried chili flakes.
beamountainman
Topix Novice

Post by beamountainman »

Very high sodium, but Tony C's makes and awesome creole spice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Spices- Tajin, maple-brandy rub on fish, basil. Coriander and garam masala are the two spices I am currently experimenting with. I mix my own cereal, with a dash of cinnamon and allspice. A tablespoon of Nido in each cereal bag really makes it rich and creamy. Fresh garlic cloves. Olive oil and margarine, 1/2 oz each per day (more oil if I plan to fry a lot of fish). Nuts (cashews my favorite) and sunflower seeds on everything. Dried or FD sundried tomatoes, dried mushrooms. Lately I have been trying out fried dried onion rings or potato chips on top of pasta dishes. Jerky added to chili. Parmesan cheese.

I always carry small plastic bottles of Tajin and basil. Other than those, I pre-mix meals and add salt and spices directly to the bag of food, every meal slightly different for variety. I cook from scratch but take 1-2 "side" packets in case I need a no-fuss meal. Never use FD meals.

During my normal grocery shopping I always keep an eye out for new and different stuff to enhance my backpack meals.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Dave_Ayers wrote:But I do use Chaka's MMM Sauce for marinating the jerky meat (I make my own).
I make my own jerky too, where do you get Chaka's locally? I saw on internet by the case, but just need a bottle. I usually use a marinade of Yoshida's Teriyaki and crushed red peppers. I sent them an email to see if it's available here in north San Diego county.

John
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Tajin, Coriander and garam masala .
Me too, especially Tajin on fried trout! And don't forget cardamom (which is typically a component of garam masala).
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman