backpacker breakfast

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: backpacker breakfast

Post by fishmonger »

My first breakfast on the trail consists of concentrated carbs in a format I like to eat. When possible, I just vacuum seal my favorite cookies and bring a batch, or for resupply later in a long hike, I use factory sealed food like Belvita biscuits

add plenty of coffee, creamer, vitamins and a vanilla protein shake before heading out and I am all set for 2 hours (that 4 hours thing on the box cannot be trusted ;-))
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Peanut powder was mentioned just a few days ago. I located some in a store.

So, tell me again. I guess this is a powder to be added to a hot breakfast or cold milk. I guess it is supposed to have the protein of peanut butter, but without the fat. Some people would argue that they want the fat calories, but not everybody feels that way.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

bobby49 wrote:Peanut powder was mentioned just a few days ago. I located some in a store.

So, tell me again. I guess this is a powder to be added to a hot breakfast or cold milk. I guess it is supposed to have the protein of peanut butter, but without the fat. Some people would argue that they want the fat calories, but not everybody feels that way.
I mostly just add it to my instant oatmeal but I have a friend that puts it in all kinds stuff. I would prefer to have the extra calories from the oil but I don't like to carry a 1.5oz package per day just for my oatmeal. I can carry one 2oz Ziploc of the powdered variety that will last most of the week.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RSC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by RSC »

This doesn't address the original question, but my wife and I go no-cook, and for breakfast we have oatmeal with added dried fruit and nuts (Bircher muesli I guess). We add water and leave it to soak overnight in a covered bowl in the bear canister. Then in the morning we have it with powdered whole milk (Peak).
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

3 cups of strong coffee mixed with hot chocolate, and premixed honey and natural peanut butter generously smeared on a couple of Wasa multigrain crackers. This keeps me going until lunch.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fish4gold »

Like WD my blood sugar crashes too easy, and if I try constantly feeding it I just jet jittery. I have to eat something. So here is what has worked for me (Dairy gets my gut too).
2/3 cup instant oatmeal
1/3 cup Quina flakes
1 scoup collagen protein
some freeze-dried fruit
some nuts
package the above in a quart freezer bag and add 2 cups boiling water and stir well. sit 10 min (doesn't require a cozy)
If your fruit is apples, than cinnamon goes nicely too. This is not fast though, and might be too heavy on some stomachs. It has taken me a few years to arrive at this point but serves me will. maybe it will help somebody?
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I'm with @Wandering_Daisy and @fish4gold on this subject. My favorite breakfast is a hot pot of complex carbs, like oatmeal. I add variety with raisins, prunes, or some other fruit. Some days I'm too cold or too lazy to cook immediately in the morning; in these situations, I eat a handful of almonds and fruit, and get straight to hiking. Maybe an hour down the trail, I look for a scenic spot in the sunshine, and then I'll unpack my stove and cook a proper breakfast.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

This, already transferred to a bag from the produce dept. of the grocery (I used to buy a roll of 1000 for $10). Toss in some real dried bacon bits, small cubes of cheese, butter, pepper, touch of powdered milk. Pour in bowl, rehydrate with hot water, and slide bowl into cozy (insulated zipping lunch bag for kids). Set aside to rehydrate. The complex carbs/starch takes longer to break down and provides a more steady flow of glucose. This one requires no pot or pan for cooking.
Grits.png
cozy.png
Another long and slow sustaining glucose provider is potato pancakes made from instant potatoes, baking powder, powdered milk, powdered egg, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic, pepper, small cheese cubes, rehydrated ham cubes, butter. Mix ingredients with hot water to correct consistency; form into patties; fry in butter. This takes longer, more work, more cleanup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I usually pre load something like 5 packets of plain instant oatmeal (no sugar) with 5 packets of strawberry instant oatmeal, the add a cup of smashed freezer dried raspberries (whole ones have too much volume), add a little Nida, and finally a cup of almond pieces. This comes up to about 2/3 c per meal and is stored in bulk in ziplock type plastic bag then poured into my small 1 cup cup before adding boiling water. Into my large cup I add 3 heaping teaspoons of premixed via and coco mix before adding about 10 oz of boiling water. A lot of times on travel days I will eat a commercially made granola premixed with Nida before adding cold water. Occasionally on layover days will make a freeze dried omelet with cheese and precooked bacon. In my old age early starts just don't do it for me anymore and I seldom hike more than 6 miles a day unless it is almost all downhill so no cook breakfasts are not a priority especially since I need my morning mocha kickstart.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Damn it, you are making me hungry.