backpacker breakfast

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

backpacker breakfast

Post by bobby49 »

Years ago, we used to have leisurely breakfasts with sausage and eggs and coffee. For a group, that was OK.

Now I find myself traveling and dining alone, partially because few of us who have arrived at a certain age are still interested.

Last summer I was getting up early before sunrise, and I wanted to get something hot and quick, yet easy to clean up. I started using Carnation Breakfast Essentials, which is a white powder made mostly out of milk powder, maltodextrin, and a little vanilla flavor. I would pour a little boiling water over it and it was ready to go down the hatch. If I was feeling sleepy or sluggish, I would mix in one packet of instant coffee powder. That got boring after a few mornings.

That kept me going until mid-morning. Now I am looking for some additives, in case I need more calories or a shift in flavors. But, it has to remain easy to dissolve in hot water.

The nearest that I've come is to take freeze-dried apple chips, and pulverize those into a lumpy apple powder, then I mix that into the Carnation product.

Any more ideas?
dave54
Founding Member

Re: backpacker breakfast

Post by dave54 »

Add powdered yogurt as a thickener. Instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, cream of rice to turn it into a gruel. Add protein powder or powder egg to increase satiety. Cinnamon or nutmeg for flavor. Powder peanut butter.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

dave54 wrote: Powder peanut butter.
Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

bobby49 wrote:
It doesn't reconstitute into a creamy peanut butter, since it lacks the oil. Used mainly as a flavoring.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

dave54 wrote:
bobby49 wrote:
It doesn't reconstitute into a creamy peanut butter, since it lacks the oil. Used mainly as a flavoring.
Yep, I've used it with protein shakes (protein powder, nido, and peanut butter powder). Great in terms of calories and amino acids, not so good in terms of flavor for me. I'll stick with Nido and vanilla protein powder with instant coffee.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

My regular backpacking breakfast is one packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast (the same powdered mix you mention) mixed with powdered milk. I add about 12 oz of cold water (a little more than called for), shake it up in a Nalgene bottle, and sip it while I eat four Newman's fig bars. Keeps me going until early afternoon and I don't feel bloated. The breakfast mix is rich in vitamins and minerals and the fig bars are rich in natural sugars. No fuss, no mess.

Mike
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

A Ziplock bag in my pocket with one of the 4 types of Simply Granola I'll later grab into when convenient. I'm up and out on a route at dawn.

http://www.quakeroats.com/product/cold- ... anola.aspx

bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Years ago I was leading group backpack trips, and I would always arrange a central commissary of breakfasts and dinners. So, I was always on the lookout for some new breakfast recipe that everybody would eat. I had powdered eggs, but that alone wasn't too exciting. Here is what I used, powdered eggs mixed up with water, and then a good dollop of margarine is added. That puts the slimy consistency back into the eggs. Then I added one mystery ingredient. The eggs were done sort of like a crepe or pancake. As they are served into a bowl, a big spoonful of hot fruit cocktail (from dehydrated diced fruit that was cooked up) was placed in the middle. Everybody would eat that and claim that it was good. Then I asked them if they could identify the mystery ingredient. They could never guess.

Almond Extract.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I was using the Packitgourmet smoothies for a few years until I figured out that I can get equivalents from Amazon for less money, and also buy the basic ingredients in bulk. They are essentially protein power, milk powder, yoghurt powder, vanilla, maltodextrin, some kind of fruit power like strawberry, peach or mango, and you can throw in freeze-dried fruit chuncks. A full Packitgourmet smoothie delivers 430 calories.
Last edited by CAMERONM on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Whatever you choose, read the labels and make sure you really want to put that stuff into your body. Too much sugar for me.

The time it takes to cook a pot of cereal (I prefer non-instant) with lots of nuts, dried or FD fruit, Nido, and only a teaspoon each of brown sugar and butter (or olive oil) is worth it to me, not to get hungry by 10AM. I vary each breakfast with different grains, fruit and nuts and spices.

I can multi-task so do little things with packing while the water boils. I use a pot "cozy" so after a few minutes of actual cooking (stirring and paying attention needed) I then put it aside and continue packing.

If you want quick breakfast, and tired of those instant packaged cereals, try using cous-cous as the grain-just bring to a boil and let sit 5 minutes. I do not hike well on a heavy breakfast, otherwise, summer sausage (no need to cook) wrapped in a tortilla is quick. Get creative and mix the sausage with nuts and raisins.