crackers

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: crackers

Post by bobby49 »

There is a type of snack that is called a crispy pastry. It isn't too far from a cracker on the outside, but with a tiny speck of fruit filling. However, Logan Bread is sort of a cross between dry fruit cake and a brownie.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I think these would do pretty well even without the container that I used last time, most of the crackers I've tried before would not survive even in a container, just the sliding around would reduce them to crumbs.
A lot of crackers have some sweetener - like wheat thins, for instance. Not that most people would describe them as sweet, but it's there. And as I said, with the other things I like to take, I find that I'm getting more sugar than I would prefer, so I'd rather leave it out where it's not needed.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Yeah, you're right about Wheat Thins being kind of sweet. And they're insipid too. Most supermarket crackers are unappealing to me.

My cracker of choice is a particular brand of "bagel" cracker. They're somewhat sturdy but still require TLC to keep fully intact. I think we use the same type of plastic container. And they aren't sweet, at least not to my palate. There's no recognizable version of sugar in the ingredient list. But they probably taste quite different than what you're baking at home.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

I found "crackers" at Costco called Whisps. They are baked rounds of parmesan cheese, nominally 1 1/4 inch in diameter. You get a cracker crunch and a real cheese taste in one bite. They are about 150 calories per ounce (10 g fat). Also 13 g protein per ounce.
Seems like an ideal compromise to me: cheese that doesn't spoil and crackers that have a lot of calories per ounce. Will definitely make room for them in my bear canister this summer.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost