Adult Beverages On Trail

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Adult Beverages On Trail

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 am Sure would be interesting to see a bear drink a whole poly bottle of 151.. I'd fire up the GoPro for that video..
One of the owners of the store at Florence Lake told me about the time a camper said "there's a bear in the road not moving." She got her gun and went down there. Turned out a bear had got a whole cooler full of beer, tied one on, and was sleeping it off in the middle of the road to the campground. She shouted at it until it roused enough to move off the road into the bushes, where it collapsed and started snoring again.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

rlown wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 am Sure would be interesting to see a bear drink a whole poly bottle of 151.. I'd fire up the GoPro for that video..

If you set out bottles of 151 with a motion activated camera in bear terrain I'll bet you'd eventually get a video of a bear biting into a bottle, slobbering all over it, and spilling most of the contents.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

This is one of these friend of a friend urban legends, but I heard a story about a guy that woke up to the lovely sight of a bear licking beer out of his beard.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Once we took a couple of new backpackers to Emerald lake (on the Pear lake trail) it was an ugly rainy day and the two newbies (my son-in-law and nephew) were having some issues with the altitude but they each brought a fifth of hard liquor (Wild Turkey and I can't quite remember what the other one was). Well they couldn't drink and my brother-in-law and I didn't want them to have to carry them back out so we tried really hard to consume them while sitting under a tarp watching the view and the very soggy folks making their way to Pear. If you're familiar with that campsite, it is literally right on the trail and about halfway through the two bottles (yes the newbies actually carried glass up there) a ranger came by and scolded us for not keeping the bottles within reach, stating that it was one thing to deal with drunk backpackers but a whole nother thing to deal with drunk bears.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Sounds like te concensus is that alcoholic beverages, even the unsweetened variety, should be stored in the bear canister. Oh well.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am Sounds like te concensus is that alcoholic beverages, even the unsweetened variety, should be stored in the bear canister. Oh well.
Nope, not for really hard liquor. Bears really like beer.