Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Food allergy - Nausea on the trail - Must Read!

Post by bobby49 »

Malt o Meal with cinnamon.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I like Malt - o - Meal as well, or steel cut oats. Cinnamon and powdered milk. I hate the clean-up from m-o-m because it dries on like spackle faster than I can finish it. I never used to have stomach issues, but now, I get acid indigestion from nuts and dried fruit. For me, I think it has more to do with getting older. The stomach is becoming more sensitive when working hard and drinking water, then throwing some nuts and sugars on top. I've cut back on the offending foods and started adding Tums into my lunch baggies.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Love the Tums comment. I agree with you that as we age, our food choices have to change as well.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

rlown wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am I agree with you that as we age, our food choices have to change as well.

Why?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Because they do and have. Not sure how old you are, but over 40 years, my food needs have changed.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I see.

Yes, I agree with you that in general food choices change as people age. Food choices are always in flux to some extent, regardless of age. I didn't eat the same way when I was in my 20s as I did in my teens.

The way you stated it, that food choices have to change because one is past some age, say 40, is what I was questioning. Why would it be necessary? Sure, if you have a health issue you might be forced to make adjustments. Or if you become less active with age you'll probably have to reduce calories and hence (if you're smart) eat less junk food. But otherwise... what needs to change?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

It's not a must, it's just very common. Like an enlarged prostate. It's quite common in men over 50, but it isn't experienced by everyone. I have no health issues, rarely ate junk food after my 20's and have only in the last couple of years, became less active. I've basically lived on one meal a day since I was 30 with no issue. I used to have an iron gut, but it's not so iron anymore. I love spicy food, but have had to reduce the heat a bit (I'm talking chilihead hot). Other than that, it's just dried fruits and nuts while backpacking that give me trouble.

give or take a quart.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My thought would be to ask your doctor, or see a nutritionist.
As we don't know what brand of apricots you eat, and we're not doctors, we can't say.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

rightstar76 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:23 amWith dried fruit, if I eat a whole bunch of dehydrated apricots (no sulfites) I'll feel sick to my stomach a few minutes later. Any thoughts about what might be going on?
Can you live without dehydrated apricots? Have you tried other fruits?

All I can think is the acidity of the fruit and juice are causing you issues.

John