Long Distance Backpacking - what's for lunch?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Long Distance Backpacking - what's for lunch?

Post by longri »

Flamingo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:47 am...pre-cooked Indian entrees...

...I've used these pre-cooked entrees extensively during my thru-hikes on the PCT and CDT.

You've taken multiple 10oz foul pouch meals on 2000+ mile walks?

That certainly upends the notion of long distance = lightweight when it comes to food.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

@longri Yes :) My philosophy is to make my gear ultralight, so that I can carry delicious (sometimes heavy) food.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I used to take Peanut butter and honey and put it on Tortillas, but a couple of years ago, I ditched the torts. Now I just take the pb and honey (about a half of cup) and eat that by itself. I 'm not really a fan of any kind of bread so just doing the pf and honey like a gel shot has worked great for me.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Haven't done more than 3 weeks at a time but we have done several 2-3 week long trips.

We like to graze for breakfast and lunch. We have cooked dinner on some trips and ate cold on others.

Typical grazing food:

home dried fruits and jerky
nuts
bars
pretzel nibs or other crunchy carbs
some chocolate or candy

We like to take a few hours off every 3-4 days when it is a sunny and warm afternoon. We use the bear cans and wash all the clothing. We do afternoon body washes using a single bear can full of water, dipping cup, washing cloth and camp duds. I prefer not to embrace the stink.

August clothing can be pretty simple, running shorts, light shirt, socks. Socks take the longest to dry. We put the evening warmer gear on after we are clean so we don't usually wash that stuff.
Jeff
Kevbur
Topix Newbie

Post by Kevbur »

Peanut butter and jelly in jerry tubes (is that the right name of those plastic tubes with the clips?) and bacon jerky on those little pita pockets! This sounded terrible to me until my backpacking cohort prepared one of these culinary delights!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

My long distance snack is very simple: Reese's Pieces. They have fat, protein, and carbohydrates. What's not to like?