Favorite Bars

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Favorite Bars

Post by maverick »

What is your favorite bar?
I like Pro Bars.
Flycanoe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Bars

Post by Flycanoe »

This is my favorite protein bar and I've tried quite a few. Most leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_builders/
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I like Cliff Bars, but after a few days, they all taste the same. Expect maybe the chocolate ones.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Just about all the bars that I've tried are so sweet I can barely choke them down after a few days :puke: but I don't like sweet "GORP" kinda stuff either.

A few years ago I wrote to the Cliff Bar Company and suggested they develop some bars that were a little more savory rather than so sweet... they did come up with something that was more nutty with pretzels, but I haven't seen those bars for a while. I guess they must not have been a very big seller.

I want something that tastes like corn nuts. I guess I'll have to make my own.... I may have to work on that recipe. :)
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I've pretty much stuck with cliff bars, although like Tom after a day or say they all taste the same to me. I've considered making my own sometime, but never put aside the time.

The one 'bar' I never get sick of though - Snickers (recently found dark chocolate Snickers - yummy!).
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I'm with everyone else, they get old after a couple days. I need to get back to fixing something for breakfast, as I have been eating a variety of bars for my breakfast, thinking I can break camp quicker by not having to heat water or fix pancakes. Some of the bars don't go down too quickly in the morning, so I spend time anyway, just trying to get them consumed. I tried some extra dried fruit a couple years ago, all that did was make me go in the afternoon And go again.
Piece of cake.
Hetchy
Topix Regular

BumbleBars+Luna Bars

Post by Hetchy »

:bear: BumbleBars are a sesame and honey chewy bar. The don't have all the high powered vitamins and such. Just organic ingredients.. blah, blah.. And they only come in a few flavors. I never get tired of them and I even eat them when I am not hiking.
My second choice is Clif's Luna Bars. They are touted as "The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women".
I don't care, they are yummy. :nod: Besides they come in Caramel Nut Brownie! :yummy:
And it does not hurt that I bought like 200 of them at a huge discount!
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Re: BumbleBars+Luna Bars

Post by Snow Nymph »

Hetchy wrote::bear:
My second choice is Clif's Luna Bars. They are touted as "The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women".
I don't care, they are yummy. :nod: Besides they come in Caramel Nut Brownie! :yummy:
And it does not hurt that I bought like 200 of them at a huge discount!
Hetchy is secure with his masculinity. :D I like that!

I get burned out with all those bars. I recently found one (forget the name) at Mammoth Mountaineering in Mammoth, with a lot of nuts in a banana flavor. It was over $3, but it was GOOD! I tried the blueberry ClifBar, and that was pretty good too. I picked up a few more at trader joes. In Australia they had nutty bars that were pretty good.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Anything gets old after a few days, but I like a mix of cliff bars and kashi go lean bars )like rice krispies half covered in chocolate). Throw in some powerbars, balance bars, and odwalla bars and I'm all set. I've really been wanting to try youbars (http://www.youbars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Strider
Topix Regular

Post by Strider »

Like to blend my own trail mix - leave out the chocolate chips and salted nuts. Get yogurt bits from supermarket, nuts from Trader Joe's. (except pistachios for awhile)
'Hike long and perspire'