What and where is you first meal out?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: What and where is you first meal out?

Post by WarrenFork »

I like the blackened prime rib at Virginia Creek Settlement on 395 between Conway Summit and Bridgeport.

I miss El Charro Avitia in Bishop, Rossi's in Big Pine, and 1881 in Bridgeport. Good riddance though to Whiskey Creek in Bishop where I worked in the kitchen many moons ago. You don't want to know...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Warrenfork,

Welcome to HST! If you have some time, an official introduction would be great. :thumbsup:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

:) My Scouts would laugh at this, because these answers have become part of the Troop's lore and tradition:

--Giovanni's pizza in Mammoth for the first dinner back. Salad, pizza and servers that "talk trail". Darn good pizza, too.
--Breakfast Club or Good Life in Mammoth for last breakfast before trailhead and breakfast before buggin' out for SoCal. I prefer Good Life, but Breakfast Club has a legitimate following and does make better hash browns.
--"Dessert" is a walk over to Kittredge, to talk post-trek fishing tales with Brian and Terry, maybe replace some tackle, etc...

We'll detour into Mammoth to hit these on the way back from Yosemite, if need be.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

This response could be very long however, cheeseburgers or pizza and of course beers always end every trip.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Are there any good places in Bridgeport to grab sandwich to go? We are hoping to get our permit and head to the trail head on Wednesday. It doesn't look like there are many choices in town other than to sit down for a burger.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Are there any good places in Bridgeport to grab sandwich to go?
The Burger Barn on Main is pretty good, they have all types of burgers, burritos, chicken sandwiches, and tacos. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fox212
Topix Novice

Post by fox212 »

Generally I crave a tasty burger, pizza, or BBQ the most after a good hike. Of course, I generally crave those things at most other times. :)

It's always fun to find a hole-in-the-wall hidden gem along the (often LONG) drive home.

And beer. Always beer.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

tomba wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am
fishmonger wrote:We should set up a map ...
We could use this map. I seeded it with few places.

Click "Edit", zoom in, add a placemark, and click "Save".
I'll bump this thread, and that map for the 2019 season.

I'm a fan of Alice's Sugar Shack on 108.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I'm a huge fan of classic diners. Two of my east-side favorites:
* Country Kitchen, Big Pine: they serve a surprisingly gourmet version of classic breakfast fare.
* Jack's Restaurant, Bishop: pie, pie, and more pie.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by RichardCullip »

Since I'm usually coming out via trails in Horseshoe Meadow area I hit Alabama Hills Café in Lone Pine if I make it before closing time. If not, the Pizza Factory for a Meat Lover's.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard