What and where is you first meal out?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: What and where is you first meal out?

Post by ndwoods »

Ditto Whoa Nellie's Deli...:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I dont get to the east side much so I'm a bit dated, but glad to see some of my old breakfast favs (Jacks in Bishop and the Stove in Mammoth) still making the list. Ditto for the Mogul. Do you still cook your own steak??? The Convict Resort is first class!! My wife and I shared a meal for two there in the 90's that rates as one of our nicest evenings out. I think this ones still around, the little cafe at the Rock Creek Pack Station used to serve up some tasty burgers. I recall wandering in, ordering a burger, and then having a shower while our burger was cooked. My favorite east side eatery is gone. Bens Broasted Chicken in Bishop. Best chicken I ever had, hands down.

I'll throw in a couple west side spots. The deli in shaver has good grub at reasonable prices. Burgers, sammys, burritos and CHILI DOGS!!!! They also have ice cream and espresso drinks for those missing their lattes. Shaver Lake Pizza throws a good pizza with cold beer on tap. Further up the 168 I concur with the Lakeside Resort in Huntington. At the end of the road the VVR has a pretty good menu. Pricey due to how far back in you are, but they have a great BBQ on Fridays and Saturdays. Nice tri tip plate finished with a slice of homemade pie. If your hungry heading down the hill, try Velascos in Prather. Dive looking building, but great Mexican food at reasonable prices. Theres a reason the place is packed on weekends.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

It kind of depends on the trailhead. Nicely's is comfort food . Nothing special but good. I never pass MonoCone without an icecream cone at least. The Stove in Mammoth is OK but I had poor service the last time and haven't been back. The BreakfastClub is a fav if it's early and still open. In Bridgeport, the absolute tops for me is the Cheeseburger and onion rings at Rhino's followed by a cone at Jollycone. The BBQ in Walker is awsome and they even brought my dog a bone and let her sit outside with us. The cafe across the street has great food too.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

My sons and I like to stop at Walker Burger. The milkshakes are fantastic!
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I've been enjoying the Happy Hour offerings at Whiskey Creek in Bishop and Mammoth when I can get out the TH in time to get cleaned up and in town in time.

They''ve got a flatiron steak with garlic mashed potatoes on the bar menu that is half off during Happy Hour.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

As far back as 1988 on our first Muir Trail, we went to la Casita in Bishop after the hike. It was recommended to us by a retired Mexican restaurant owner on the trail and it didn't disappoint.

In recent years, though, we've just ate Mooseburgers at the Portal - the perfect post hike food at the end of a long Muir Trail hike, right there when you want it the most.

We should set up a map (gmap4) that shows where the recommended places in Owens Valley are located, since a lot of the recommendations in this thread don't mean much to people like me who only show up once or twice a year.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

That would be nice to have a map but it might hurt other local businesses.

I have yet to find a decent place to eat in Lone Pine. It's not that any place I have gone to is bad but it's just plain.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

fishmonger wrote:We should set up a map ...
We could use this map. I seeded it with few places.

Click "Edit", zoom in, add a placemark, and click "Save".
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Shaver Lake Pizza, in Shaver.

Giovanni's Pizza in Mammoth, every time.
Breakfast Club, in Mammoth
The Stove, in Mammoth
and the grills at Reds Meadow & Saddlebag Lake
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Whiskey Creek in Bishop is our favorite - has the misters going, great (but expensive) food to celebrate, and nice beers on tap.

It's our splurge after a great trip.