What's Your Favorite Granola?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
nevadasmith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

What's Your Favorite Granola?

Post by nevadasmith »

Did a forum search but came up with a zero. so here goes.....
I keep telling myself that I will make my own homemade granola mix someday, So far
progress has been slowwwww. Lately I have been bringing along the Bear Naked trail mix,
usually the high protein version, on my backpack trips.
The absolute best granola that I have ever tasted was from that little store located
on the side of hwy 102, below Tioga lake.(road to yosemite N.F. for those not from the area) Expensive, $3 for a pretty small baggy, But
It is above & beyond any granola I have ever tasted. wish I could take a bear canister full of
that granola, I'd live on it entirely, but it would empty my wallet quick.
anyone else come across some really good granola, or have a home made recipe to share?
I
GH-Dave
Topix Acquainted

Re: What's Your Favorite Granola?

Post by GH-Dave »

OK. Glad you asked.

First the explanation:

My son is attending International ALERT Academy. It's a long story explaining who these folks are. If you are interested, go to their website. If you have a teenage son, I HIGHLY encourage he attend at least the basic. It will make a man out of him.

Anyway, the basic training phase is actually tougher than military basic. There are several endurance events over the nine-weeks course, but one of the toughest -- not even THE toughest -- is the 50-mile, continuous 24-hour hike with full multi-day backpacks in the Winding Stair Mountain National Recreation Area in Oklahoma.

Throughout the nine weeks, the guys burn anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 calories a day and -- as you can imagine -- are fed a very rich diet, including this super granola. My son basically became addicted to the stuff and craved it whenever he wasn't stuffing his face with it.

The guys in basic swear their granola was different from and better than the regular "Battalion" granola. There have been many attempts to discover the recipe. The guys even volunteered for kitchen duty so they could spy it out. Below is what they have determined is the "basic training" granola. The first part is the Battalion regular granola. The added parts are what makes it the special basic training granola. Still, nobody really knows for sure what EXACTLY makes up the special basic training granola. The cooks just won't spill the beans.

Somewhere in all these ingredients, however, is bound to be a pretty good granola.

Dave

Dry Ingredients:

5 c. Rolled Oats
1 c. Sunflower Seeds
1 c. Coconut
1 c. Sliced Almonds(walnuts or pecans)
1 c. Whole-wheat Flour (You can use white flour)
3/4 t. Salt
3/4 c. Brown Sugar

Wet Ingredients:

1/2 c. Honey
1/2 c. Canola Oil (or veggie oil)
1/4 c. Water
3/4 t. Vanilla Extract
3/4 t. Almond Extract

Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate container, mix all the wet ingredients thoroughly until the honey and oil are blended. Pour the honey mixture over the dry mixture and mix well by hand. Put into a well-greased 9x13 pan 2 inc high pan. Bake at 350 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes. Granola is done when it is toasted (LIGHTLY toasted very lightly just turning golden, still will seem soft and wet. But won't stick. This is the KEY to good granola, don't over do it whatever you do. You won't think it is done when it is and if you think it is done it is probably over done!) and doesn't stick to spoon anymore (app. 1 hour). Let cool completely on the counter then store in an airtight container.

Each batch makes about a gallon of granola.

Now the fun part--variety!

Maple Walnut Granola
Replace Almond Extract with Maple Extract

Almonds with Walnuts
Add:
1 1/2 t. Cinnamon (or more if desired)
Remove:
Sunflower Seeds

Banana Nut
Replace:
Almond extract with 2 t. Banana Extract or 1 oz. Banana Flavoring (More maybe added for a stronger flavor)
Add:
1 1/2 t. Cinnamon (or more if desired)
More Nuts if desired
1-2 c. Dried Banana Chips
Remove:
Sunflower Seeds

Cran-Apple
Replace:
Almond Extract with Maple Extract
Almonds with Pecans
Add:
2 t. Cinnamon (or more if desired)
1 c. Dried Cranberries
1 c. Diced Dried Apples
Remove:
Sunflower Seeds

Apple Cinnamon
Replace:
Almond Extract with Maple Extract
Almonds with Pecans
Add:
1 T. Cinnamon (or more if desired)
1 c. Diced Dried Apples
Remove:
Sunflower Seeds( and or Coconut)

Ranch Blend
Replace:
2/3 Almonds with 1/3 Pecans, 1/3 Walnuts
Add:
2 t. Cinnamon (or more if desired)
3/4 c. Dried Cranberries
3/4 c. Diced Dried Apples
3/4 c. Dried Banana Chips
1/2 c. Raisin
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

I like Quaker Natural Granola fine and there's no time spent gathering ingredients and making my own :)
http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oat- ... isins.aspx
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I have made my own granola many times. I have no recipe, just put together whatever comes to my mind at the time. But it really is just a simple matter of mixing your ingredients, turning on the oven, and baking for 1/2 hr to 1 hr. Its actually fun and doesn't dent your evening.