Wilderness Delights

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Wilderness Delights

Post by Flux »

Went to an asian foods store and bought powdered coconut creme and Panang Curry paste in a pouch. Still toying with how to make Trout Panang Curry as far as prepping the fish. I may just cut them up lengthwise and just remove the spine and bones from each piece after simmering. Put this over instant rice and it should be pretty darn good. The coconut powder is very high calorie per oz, the rice is probably just OK.

Update: Decided to grab a steak for the first nights meal and do the Panang. Turned out pretty nice and the instant rice was a breeze and decent. Good high calorie meal. Would probably do well with freeze dried beef and veggies.

a bit of olive oil in the pan, sauteing the meat with the Curry paste

With the coconut milk added and simmering it down, the packets used. It called for 1.5 cups of water and I probably should have just used 1 and simmered less:

DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Delights

Post by DriveFly44 »

Dang Flux that looks great!! I'm going to try something like that.