Example Ration List

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Example Ration List

Post by longri »

Daisy,

There are a few tricks to doing tables. One is to use the "Code" tag to get fixed width fonts but you'll need to first generate the text in an editor with a fixed font.

Code: Select all

Food Item           (oz)
DRINKS - 8 days     (1.0 lbs, subtotal)
Emergen-C           3.6
Cocoa with Nido     6.0
Ovaltine            0.8
Miso soup           1.2
tea (8bags)         0.8
coffee, instant     2.0
Protein Powder      2.0 
It's easier to just take a screenshot of your spreadsheet and post that.

I do this once in a while for trips. It's a pain to weigh everything and enter it but it can be revealing. One thing your list misses is the non-caloric weight of your food. Virtually nothing has zero moisture and many foods have a non-caloric dry element as well ("fiber"). So the %wt won't really add up to 100% unless you have a column for moisture/fiber as well. In addition it isn't quite true that protein and carbohydrate have 4 Cal/g and fat 9 Cal/g. It varies.

And then there's packaging of course...

I'm tempted to post one of my spreadsheets but while the food was fine on the trail, the list looks way too vomitous when viewed from the comfort of a front country computer screen.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I think there is a huge misconception - people *think* they either cook or use Mountain House... I don't cook, and I don't use Mountain House. It's a rare occasion that I bother to do more than boil water. The exception is cooking fish during a fire ban, in a pan over a stove.

There are a lot of ways to just throw together a few ingredients at home in bags, and just add water in camp. WD's list doesn't require cooking - I could throw together that same menu and get by with boiling water for every meal.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

We do 20 ounces a day per person for longer trips. We used to do more but always came back with extra. We graze and the biggest deal is getting the right ratios of what everyone likes to munch on while also consider protein and total calories. We home dry a large variety of fruits and make jerky, add nuts, bars and grains and other stuff that is ready to eat. Haven't cooked on a summer hike in 10 years. Everything is in zip lock baggies with all other packaging removed. The empty baggies are used to carry out used tissue. We can put 12 person days of food in a Bearikade Expedition. Each of us carry one on longer trips. Since no heating is involved we leave the stove, fuel, pot, bowls and spoons at home.

We graze all day from zip lock bags kept in our hip belt pouches. Nobody slows down from lack of eating. My wife used to bonk until I stopped to make lunch or break out snack. We basically snack all day.
Last edited by JWreno on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Here is our food for 3 people doing the JMT. We will resupply twice so we don't carry all
this at once. We do eat about 20 ounces per person per day. This is our 3rd full JMT with
mostly this type of food. We will eat burgers at TM and a couple of meals at Reds Meadows.

10 pounds of homemade jerky
14 pounds of home dried fruits
8 pounds of butter toffee almonds
5 pounds of honey roasted peanuts
5 pounds of salted peanuts
2 pounds of walnuts
4 pounds of pretzel nibs
5 pounds of BBQ giant corn nuts
2 pounds of plain giant corn nuts
14 pounds of luna bars (variety)
2 pounds of other bars
Jeff
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

We just dropped two 5 gallon resupply buckets in the mail for MTR. Had to scramble on part of my supplies. I ordered nut related stuff last week and hadn't shipped after 5 business days. Bought the MTR resupply quantities locally this morning so we could get buckets shipped out on time. Last 2 times I ordered the items where shipped next day.
Jeff