Cooking and Baking at high altitude....?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
DogNTallGrass
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Cooking and Baking at high altitude....?

Post by DogNTallGrass »

Hello, First post here.
I will be spending a week near cottonwood lakes next month with 4 other friends from the Seattle area. As I am prepping my food I's like to know what not to bring. Are biscuits and egg items a huge challenge? Most of my food will be rehydrate meals from packit gourmet but trying to add a little variety. What foods work well at 10-12k?
Also, debating what stove to use? Pocket rocket, jetboil solTi, Alcohol stove or is a remote canister stove going to be best (like the MSR windpro II)?
Our "Group leader" has a post about our trip here-
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cooking and Baking at high altitude....?

Post by rlown »

Do you mean whole eggs? Those are a pain. On your biscuits, what form? from scratch or in a container like Pillsbury? I'm doubting you could do either justice on a jetboil, but I could be wrong. those are simmer-capable foods. I'd lean towards a canister.

Hard cheeses and cured meats work well at altitude for cooking, as do trout and things that go well with trout. Pasta does as well. you can do the freeze-dried eggs and be happy. I'm sure there are other combos.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

A couple of quick bakes I want to try this summer, at altitude in CO and CA.

http://vimeo.com/772798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/b ... ernatives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just the thought of any kind of warm bread on day 4 or later sounds great.
DogNTallGrass
Topix Newbie

Post by DogNTallGrass »

rlown wrote:Do you mean whole eggs?
No, I should have been more clear. Instant type, ovaeasy or egg based dehydrated breakfast meals. will they cook in a fry pan, or am I left with cooking in the bag.
mediauras wrote:Just the thought of any kind of warm bread on day 4 or later sounds great.
My thought exactly. Thanks for the links, I'll try this as well.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Water boils at a lower temperature at high altitudes so it may take longer to re-hydrate. I use a pot cozy so that food stays warmer since the re-hydrate time is longer. Whatever stove used, be sure to have some wind protection for the stove. Pack your biscuits in something that keeps them from getting squished and crushed. I have found that empty potato chip tubes work well. I would not try to bake the biscuits from a dough; it is hard to do on a stove without burning or having gooey uncooked parts.