Backcountry morsels

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
jallen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

other food sources above 10,500?

Post by jallen »

Anyone have any expertise in identifying food sources (besides fish) in the eastern sierras above 10,500? I'll be heading up the Piute Pass trail, then over to l. deso, or tomohawk, or mesa... not sure yet. Anywho... we thought it would be fun to scrounge up some backcountry morsels as sort of a fun competetion. I'm familiar with wild onions, dandelions, and some mushrooms, but other than that I don't have much experience. Is there anything available at that location and elevation? Thanks for the help.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: other food sources above 10,500?

Post by rlown »

Mushrooms are probably gone by now. Not sure about the other ingredients you mention as I didn't see them there. You might find the onions near the lakes, but we didn't smell the smell, so to speak, and we carry our own onions.

EDIT: there is "miners lettuce" up there. I ate that as i traveled the path.

Do you like Lichen soup? I've never tried it. They're everywhere.

Russ
walkdawg
Topix Acquainted

Post by walkdawg »

The rolled up tips of ferns are edible but the leaves themselves are toxic. I have eaten them myself. They don't have much flavor.

DISCLAIMER: BE VERY SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE EATING. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. "Survivor Man" Les Stroud said that there is some plant growing in the Sierra that looks just like Onion but is toxic. Onions smell like Onions. If it doesn't smell like an Onion, don't eat it.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

There is this book, circa 1976 from Wilderness Press and probably a newer copy out there:
Wild Food 001.JPG
Even though the book doesn't explicitly call out the Sego Lilly, I know they are in the Barney Lk area that leads up to Peeler Lk. Even Morels there but I think that season has come to a close with the lack of snow this year.

I didn't see any sign on the way up Piute pass, but I go in Sept and there wouldn't be any flowers or shrooms available at that time.

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Re: Backcountry morsels

Post by Ikan Mas »

Not a heck of a lot of vegetation over 10.5 and I think the pickins are slim, aside from fish.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Backcountry morsels

Post by maverick »

These may be of some help on this topic:

http://www.amazon.com/Foragers-Harvest- ... ild+plants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Wild-Flower ... 1556523440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jallen
Topix Acquainted

Post by jallen »

walkdawg wrote:The rolled up tips of ferns are edible but the leaves themselves are toxic. I have eaten them myself. They don't have much flavor.

DISCLAIMER: BE VERY SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE EATING. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. "Survivor Man" Les Stroud said that there is some plant growing in the Sierra that looks just like Onion but is toxic. Onions smell like Onions. If it doesn't smell like an Onion, don't eat it.
Walkdawg- thanks for the tip on onions. Never knew that. Thanks to everyone else as well. I know there's not much to choose from but we'll do the best we can.