Gluten Free

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Gluten Free

Post by Satsuma »

Both me and my husband do not eat gluten, and we have no problems with that on backpacking trips. We cook rice noodles, quinoa, buckwheat, adding dehydrated vegetables and freeze-dried meat. We never buy prepared backpacking foods, cook our own. AlipineAire makes very good chicken, beef and turkey which we use like this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009W ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Instead of bread my husband eats rice cakes, there is a variety which quite more hard and light
http://www.amazon.com/Suzies-Puffed-Lig ... B000FDMQB8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Gluten Free

Post by rlown »

oldhikerQ wrote:While CD may be the only reason that a gluten free diet is medically required, there are other reasons to embrace it. In my case, too many years of extended travel to backwater towns for my career as a field test engineer led to health problems, including high BP, cholesterol and triglycerides. Prescription drugs led to worsening health, which led to more drugs. To break the cycle, I adopted a gluten-free diet after consulting with a nutritionist in spring 2012. In the following 6 months, I dropped 50 pounds and got off of all of the meds. I've picked up 5 of those pounds due to winter sloth, but expect to shed them soon. BP, cholesterol and triglycerides remain at the low levels recorded after the initial 6 months. While I miss some of the food that I used to rely on (especially pasta), I feel so much better that I can't picture myself returning to my previous diet.

good for you. but, you can't eat at a carrows or other such restaurants on the road. glad to hear you're off your drugs. Doctors only seem to prescribe. It really has to come down to the individual. pick a path. winter sloth or work sloth is bad. i put on 10 just waiting for a chance to get out there.

Gluten isn't bad in moderation, as everything else. balance.