When the JMT Was Just 9 Years Old

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: When the JMT Was Just 9 Years Old

Post by Harlen »

Thanks a lot for that film. We enjoyed every part except for the gut-clenching moment when it looks like the boy almost tripped to his doom over the east face of Whitney. (It occurs at exactly 25.18 in the film.) Mountaineering parents nightmare!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Old school signage on the JMT, green lettering on a white background, usually posted on some local timber. I'm guessing this was shot in color but has since faded to pink with age.

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Jimr, when you get thru the whole video the narrator (wondering if it was Bill himself or a hired voice) mentioned that the whole trip took 3 months. Amazing planning in an era when even HST wasn’t around 🤣. Thanks for the snow data, it explains a lot in terms of the water flows and residual snowpack even when they got down to SEKI.

How many more years after this did they allow pack animals down the whole length of the JMT? Anyone?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Yes, I got through it and noted near the end as they mentioned Sept. and panned what seemed obvious to me, Aspens that were turning.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
foodwaterattention
Topix Novice

Post by foodwaterattention »

Wow! Thank you @ironmike and others for the digging and insight. Brings so much more to the film. I'll be sure to update the blog post to your credit.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

This is how my Grandmother hiked the trail in the 50's. The petting of the Bobcat sorta freaked me out though.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks for posting this. I now have the perfect video to point people to when they ask for a good video about the JMT. I'll just let them know that there may be some slight changes to park regulations since this short was filmed.
I now plan to start carrying a pressure cooker for my beans and rice and finely ground flour for my flapjacks and cinnamon rolls. I can't believe that I didn't think of that before!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

From the cover page of the link

Shot in 1941 by William Albee, this film showcases he and his family’s journey over the legendary route. We meet
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray