Caves of Sequoia-Kings Canyon

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Caves of Sequoia-Kings Canyon

Post by limpingcrab »

Ya, Joel. Nice guy.

I'd love to know more about cave photography, my pics never do it justice. Please post some when you go out for some "practice!"
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

1. Use a camera with off-camera external flash and with a guide number of about eight bazillion.
2. Bounce the flash or use a large diffuser.
3. With camera on a tripod, shoot a few test shots with the lens on manual focus. Or, some external flash units put out a faint red focus pattern to aid the focus. Otherwise, if it is just plain dark, the camera can't figure out what it is supposed to focus on.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I realize that it is still winter at Mineral King, and the road is closed. Roughly about when might we expect the road to open? I would expect that the road is low priority for snow removal until summer actually sets in.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

bobby49 wrote:I realize that it is still winter at Mineral King, and the road is closed. Roughly about when might we expect the road to open? I would expect that the road is low priority for snow removal until summer actually sets in.
If you Google SEKI road conditions it will give you a road description and expected opening date. I think they've already scheduled it this year.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

"Wednesday before Memorial Day"

Bah, humbug. I feel like the groundhog that has seen its shadow, so now it needs to go back into the burrow for six more weeks of winter.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

bobby49 wrote:"Wednesday before Memorial Day"

Bah, humbug. I feel like the groundhog that has seen its shadow, so now it needs to go back into the burrow for six more weeks of winter.
*cave*
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

You can get the code to the lower Mineral King gate whenever you want. Just go to the Ash Mountain visitor's center, sign a little paper, and they'll give you the combination for the lock. They change it every so often so you have to check back in each time.

The only problem is that the code doesn't work for the second gate by Atwell Mill campground so that adds some extra walking unless you bring a bike, or some skis if there's still snow.

While you're in MK visit the small bowl just north of Franklin Lakes. The Panorama Bowl caves are up there, and although they're not as extensive as the White Chief ones, it's a fun place to explore.

If you do get to white chief in the spring find the furthest entrance up the valley, near the outlet of the meadow, and there are seasonal ice formations in there that look just like real cave formations. Kinda novel and cool to see.

As far as lower elevation caves, where all the pretty formations are, you're right that people don't share those readily. Jerks ruined that for everyone. Seems like you're not going out to collect stalactites and you probably have more cave experience than me so if there's one you're looking for send me a PM and I'll see if I can help!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If the lower gate is locked on the Mineral King Road, I figure it is probably for a reason. Besides, if I got in there and got the car stuck, who is going to be able to help? I think that I will stay out until the wildflowers bloom.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I just made it home from caving there. Kicked my butt something terrible. Abrasions and bruises, oh my. I'll survive.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Six days after the cave trip, I was having my annual routine physical exam. The doctor was thumping my back and then said, "What happened to you?" Apparently my back and shoulder area was covered in purple bruises, so I had to explain what the cave was like. Otherwise, he would have thought that I had been hit by a bus.