Looking for info on Sierra plane crash sites

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
hamsterfish
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Looking for info on Sierra plane crash sites

Post by hamsterfish »

Hi there,
I’m looking for information on aircraft crash sites in the Sierra Nevada for a substantial project I’m working on.
I’ve googled all the major known sites like Tells peak, Hester lake, etc. But I’m looking for info beyond that. Such as info on planes still missing. Particularly a plane that may be in the vicinity of the Citadel. (Not hester Lake) .
Do any of you have recommendations for how to obtain such info? Or any experts that you could point me too that might be able to help?
-Chris
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Looking for info on Sierra plane crash sites

Post by bobby49 »

Once I've heard a story about one of the plane crash sites, I put that on my own personal list of places to try to add to my next summer backpack trip. Sometimes I can Google it and find more information. If I actually visit the site, I take photographs.

Some of the crashes are well documented. Some aren't. YMMV.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

type in plane crash in the search feature of this site. Might get you started.
Or, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/200 ... evada.html
A simple google search has a lot of sites for "Sierra plane crash"
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

One of the first sites that I visited was for the WWII bomber crash along the eastern border of Yosemite. I had backpacked up to the border from the Tioga Pass Road and then dayhiked higher. One stranger was hiking toward me on the trail, and said, "Are you up headed to the WWII bomber crash site?"

Up until then, I had never heard of it, so I looked stunned and replied, "Yes I am."

He pointed me in the right direction and I found it an hour later. At the time, a lot of parts were scattered over the talus along with some major chunks of fuselage.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bobby49 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:31 am Once I've heard a story about one of the plane crash sites, I put that on my own personal list of places to try to add to my next summer backpack trip. Sometimes I can Google it and find more information. If I actually visit the site, I take photographs.
Any photographs to share?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

The last time that I was up there was around 2014, so I know roughly the date of the photos. That was in a period when I had a massive hard disk drive failure, but I would still have the backup RAW files on CD-R. Trying to search through that many disks will take time. I don't even remember which of five cameras I was using at the time. The site is north just below the saddle between Koip Peak and Kuna Peak.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

hamsterfish wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:38 am Hi there,
I’m looking for information on aircraft crash sites in the Sierra Nevada for a substantial project I’m working on.
I’ve googled all the major known sites like Tells peak, Hester lake, etc. But I’m looking for info beyond that. Such as info on planes still missing. Particularly a plane that may be in the vicinity of the Citadel. (Not hester Lake) .
Do any of you have recommendations for how to obtain such info? Or any experts that you could point me too that might be able to help?
-Chris
been a few months since your post. I didn't see this until today.

here is one of the best resources I know - goes beyond the Sierra, but should have most of the sites that can be accessed within this collection, with star and sometimes links to other resources. Mostly photos, but if you get into an individual report album, there's always something there that may be of additional interest beyond the info at the top of each crash site visit. I don't recall seeing anything about a crash site near the Citadel, though. At the least, this may lead you to other resources. On the other hand, you likely have already found this site:

https://joeidoni.smugmug.com/Aircraft-Crash-Sites