Mendel Glacier WWII era crash site

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Mendel Glacier WWII era crash site

Post by tomcat_rc »

I will be attending this presentation tomorrow night in Ridgecrest

mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Final Flight
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Final Flight »

I am heading back to Mendel Glacier on August 25th with some friends. I haven't been there for three years. The Sierra had so little snow this past winter and coupled with the long hot dry spring/summer, I believe there is a good chance that more of the airplane will be exposed. And... there is always the chance we might be able to find the other two boys from the crash. If we are successful I will post a description when I return.

Peter
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Looking forward to you report Peter, and hope you will be successful in recovering the
other two!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org