Davis Lakes to 1000 Island Lake

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Davis Lakes to 1000 Island Lake

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I went off trail between Davis Lakes and 1000 Island Lake a couple of weeks ago through a pass just west of Island Pass. I don't see a pass shown on the HST map at this location. I get that not many people would ever use this pass rather than backtracking to the PCT and using Island Pass; however, it is shorter, especially if going to the west end of 1000 Island Lake, easy, and provides much better views. Would there be any interest in adding this pass?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Davis Lakes to 1000 Island Lake

Post by c9h13no3 »

A pass generally describes a crossing of a mountain range. That's more of a shortcut or route?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

L21,
Well, since the hump between Garnet and 1000 island gets a name, I think you're justified in documenting this shortcut: and frankly, having taken this route several times (a recent shot is below), I think other folk might benefit, so get creative. I refer to it as ID (Island-Davis) pass, but I'm sure you can do better!
Cameron
ID pass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

The view is pretty darn nice, and this pic is pretty similar to yours.
Island Davis Pass Shrunk 2.jpg
You say recently, I was there on September 5, 2019.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

The congruence of those photos is amazing! We were there a day later; small world! Cameron