Matterhorn Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Matterhorn Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between Matterhorn Canyon and Spiller Creek

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2-3

ELEVATION: 11,320

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Matterhorn Peak

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: From Matterhorn Canyon ascend easy class 2 grassy slopes lined with smaller talus until about 150 feet on steeper terrain takes you to the top of the pass. It may be possible to maintain climbing class 2 slopes but I had at least one 15 foot section of class 3 before I reached the top.

From the top you have two options. The first which is the only one talked about in guide books is to turn right and climb slightly higher to enter a very steep loose chute. Looking at this chute at the time I simply said screw that! Perhaps once in it it's not as bad as it looked to me but I would use caution while in it.

The other option which I took is to turn left and begin up the ridge a bit towards Matterhorn Peak. You will find yourself on a steep hill side with loose sandy and sometimes vertical class 3 climbing. Extreme caution should be used to safely navigate down this.

To be fair my over all opinion of this pass might be a bit over stated in caution due to the fact that extremely high ice cold winds turned it into a terrifying experience.

jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Matterhorn Pass

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Hi everyone, I just did this pass and I could not find the class 2 climb down to Spiller Creek. However, I have a theory about what went wrong. At the top of the pass I went south looking for the class 2 chute but I did not go far enough. I did find a chute but it was the wrong one. I needed to climb up the ridge a few feet and then traverse to the left (the Spiller side) until I got to the top of the next chute. From below it looked doable. Here's a picture:

The wrong chute was the one in the center of the picture at the low point on the pass. I think the correct one was the next chute to the left (center left in the picture) which from below does look like it might be class 2.

I hope this helps anyone trying to down climb this side!