Russell Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Russell Pass

Post by Stanley Otter »

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads between the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne River and Hutchings Creek.
CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2.
ELEVATION: 12200 feet
USGS TOPO MAP (7.5') Mount Lyell, CA
ROUTE DESCRIPTION: I crossed from east to west in mid-July 2018 -- winter 2017-18 had lower than average snowfall. The initial climb from Maclure Lake involves low angled snow fields and small to medium talus. Many route choices exist depending on your preferences. The snow becomes steep nearer the top -- I abandoned it in favor of slopes of larger talus that were mostly stable. I would classify this side as Class 2 hiking -- poles in hand. If you climb to the low point, you are confronted with rather tall cliffs on the other side. However, there is a notch 100' or so to the left/south characterized by an outcropping of red rock that leads to a chute filled with loose gravel which will get you down past the cliffs. I would second Secor's advice to stay left/southwest as a general rule on this side. After the initial steep section it is a long slog down on talus and boulders. I would classify the Hutchings Creek side as Class 2 scrambling in the chute and upper stretch -- hands helpful in spots -- and Class 2 hiking lower down. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Russell Pass A.jpg
Russell Pass B.jpg
Russell Pass C.jpg
Russell Pass D.jpg
Russell Pass E.jpg
Russell Pass F.jpg
Russell Pass G.jpg
Maclure Lake.jpg
Mount Florence.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert