Split Mountain

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of peaks above 13,000 feet in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Split Mountain

Post by Vaca Russ »

TITLE: Split Mountain

GENERAL OVERVIEW: Split Mountain is a technically easy peak to climb but it does require serious effort to get to the summit. Artrock advised I not take the road to the Red Lake trailhead. He had a lot of difficulty making it to this trailhead.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 depending on the route.

ELEVATION: 14,058 feet

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'):
Split Mountain - HST Map

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: The traditional approach is from the Red Lake TH. Additionally you can climb up and over Taboose Pass to the JMT / PCT, hike north to just below Mather Pass, then hike cross country to the base of the Prater / Split saddle.

PHOTOS:

I climbed up and over Taboose Pass.
1.JPG
I then took the JMT / PCT north to just below Mather Pass. Then I hiked cross country to Lake 3535. I spent the night there and then climbed the Prather / Split saddle the next morning.
2.JPG
The climb to the saddle is pretty straight forward.
3 Saddle.JPG
Turn north and head up the slope to the summit.
4 Prater.JPG
Hiking in snow is easier than climbing the talus (IMHO).
5 Up From Saddle.JPG
If you climb from Red Lake be sure to take the correct chute back to the TH.
6 Red Chute.JPG
The views from the summit are spectacular!
7 Summit View of 3535.JPG
8 North to Tinemaha.JPG
9 South Summit View.JPG
10 Summit.JPG
Thanks for reading my post.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ERIC on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Changed title text to bold lettering
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.