Sierra Aerial photos from April 2, 2017

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
MRrogers
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sierra Aerial photos from April 2, 2017

Post by MRrogers »

Hi all, just wanted to share some aerial photos I took over the Sierra on April 2. I was on a flight from SFO to Vegas and we flew right over Bishop. I was able to recognize a lake in the first photo(Courtright Reservoir) but I was unable to identify any known peaks, drainages or other landmarks in the other photos. Perhaps someone out there can find and identify some landmarks in these photos.
The photos below were taken traveling west to east, looking to the south.

Courtright Reservoir
IMG_1403.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra Aerial photos from April 2, 2017

Post by Jimr »

The last one is the Eastern Escarpment just S/O Big Pine. I think Red Mountain is that little dark spot in the lower left corner. Split Mountain is just out of the shot lower right. Taboose creek, I believe is the canyon lower camera right.

If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I really don't think that's Courtright. Wrong shape and the topography to the north is all wrong....

ETA: Okay, you were flying the other direction and looking from north to south -- nevermind. Got my head on straight.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

#2, I think is Red Mountain/Emerald Peak area which makes the canyon Goddard Canyon. Martha Lake is 2/3 of the way up camera left at the head of the canyon.

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

#3 is looking at Goddard Creek and Enchanted Gorge.

Here's your basic path

https://caltopo.com/m/F2BE
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

That is a lot of snow!! Sooo much better than any of the pictures from the last few years. Thanks for posting them.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Jimr wrote:#2, I think is Red Mountain/Emerald Peak area which makes the canyon Goddard Canyon. Martha Lake is 2/3 of the way up camera left at the head of the canyon.

Yes that's a good observation. You can also see Confusion Lake perched atop the LeConte Divide just to the right of Martha Lake. Beautiful shots!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

1. I used to work in "Lost Canyon," the deep gorge below Courtright . That's Wishon Res. melted out and blue below C. Res.

2. For mountain landmarks, Mt Reinstein is just above Martha Lk., and Finger Peak and it's steep satellite are the ones about three peaks up photo and right a bit from Mt Reinstein.

3. Mt Goddard and Goddard Divide stretch across the lower middle, and Mt McGee is straight down from Goddard at the bottom of the frame. That must be Davis Lake to its left, and Wanda Lk. to its left and up a bit?

4. Disappearing Creek is right of center, with Charybdis hanging over it. Muir Pass is just beyond Helen Lk., and I think that Black Giant is the high point of the curving ridge to its left. The nice looking peaks down lower in the frame must be Fiske, Warlow, and Huxley from left to right, and that means Wallace and Haeckel are to the left of them, very low in the frame.

I give up after that- go Jimr. Thanks for the maps, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
MRrogers
Topix Acquainted

Post by MRrogers »

All, my hiking buddy put together 6 of the aerial photos. See below
Aerial photo capture.JPG
I drew in the names of lakes and peaks and of course the JMT.

Below is a Caltopo of the same area. Both images are shown from West to East but the Caltopo needs to be rotated 180 degrees to match exactly with the photos.
Capture of north lake south lake area.JPG
Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

Really cool! Thanks for the photos!!! MRogers, what program did you use to stitch the photos together?